Talk

Advanced search

New chihuahua pup - is she cold?

(18 Posts)
NewPinkPup Mon 27-Jul-09 11:39:18

My lovely DH gave me a chihuahua pup at the weekend, she's 8 weeks, short haired & pretty tiny at the moment. (0.7kg)

She is quite shakey, I know part of this is being away from mum, new house, smells, noises etc. She's forever snuggling under her blankets, my legs etc. Do you think she's cold or just settling in. If cold, is it stupid to get her a jumper, I swore I wasn't going to dress her up! But she is so small I'm worried she can't keep herself warm enough.

Thanks for any advice

bella21 Mon 27-Jul-09 11:42:10

Often cold when very small and away from their nice warm litter mates! A well-wrapped hot water bottle is good, and doggy jumpers too!

All the best wink

NewPinkPup Mon 27-Jul-09 12:19:55

I hadn't thought of a hot water bottle, I have a mini one with a fluffy cover somewhere, I'll hunt it out, thanks!

spugs Mon 27-Jul-09 13:07:07

sometimes when there excited or nervous chis shake. Get her a jumper though - very cute (and post pics)

NewPinkPup Mon 27-Jul-09 16:16:43

I think the only time she's not shaking for one reason or another is when she's asleep!
Lol @ spugs, I've ordered just one top, I'll try and work out how to post a pic when it arrives!

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 27-Jul-09 18:25:55

Some dogs are very shakey. We had a terrier who trembled a lot, even when he wasn't cold.

Totallyfloaty35 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:51:48

My Chis love to burrow,is just a breed thing they like to be underneath a blanket or preferably on your lap in a blanket.Also lots of Chihuahua breeders dont let their pups go til over 10wks as they quite delicate/nervous, more so than other breeds.

ABetaDad Mon 27-Jul-09 20:01:58

I remember being left to look after my Grans chihuahua pup when she got her. Poor thing just shook. I think they do from nerves but I got an old jumper to snuggle her under and she calmed down. I think the jumper was comfort rather than warmth.

spugs Mon 27-Jul-09 20:06:14

you can get puppy sleeping bags at pets at home or one of those cat pouch things.

ChristieF Tue 28-Jul-09 15:23:51

We have a Jack Russell aged 6 and female (Pip). She shakes an awful lot. She seems to feel the cold. Noticed that lot of other Jackies do this too. Only small drop in temp and she shivers. Now has several outfits. Several very funny inc. reindeer, father christmas. Very amusing, small dogs. I've had dogs all my life (I'm 48) and had DH and I had five dogs. Never known any to shake like this. Some lovely jumpers, tops for dogs.

sullysmum Wed 29-Jul-09 20:19:46

As a chihuahua shes a bit young to have left her mother, make sure you have something like karo syrup or something similar as chi pups are prone to getting low blood sugar, another thing they have is soft spot on their heads like babies.Yes to the hot water bottle, all mine burrow,and sometimes wear jumpers and my youngest is a shiverer.

spugs Sat 01-Aug-09 15:30:05

My new papillon pup is a shiverer! I think shes cold so ive put in a hot water bottle and a blanket. I think she shivers in the car as she feels ill!

NewPinkPup Sat 01-Aug-09 19:56:05

Aw Spugs, you have a new pup
I have ordered a jumper - it's being made and should be here on Tuesday grin

sullysmum Sat 01-Aug-09 19:59:56

Bet its the first of many.

NewPinkPup Sat 01-Aug-09 21:09:30

It could well be, my husband won't like it though! Mind, she may refuse to wear the thing yet!!

spugs Sat 01-Aug-09 22:23:23

Mine has fur and lots of it so i didnt think she would need jumpers. Maybe one wouldnt hurt grin
I shall put some pics on profile and start a thread grin

NewPinkPup Sun 02-Aug-09 10:08:12

grin I will add pics when I can.. (I may have ordered another top already blush)
They're only small, lots of hidey places round the house where DH won't venture wink

MmeLindt Sun 02-Aug-09 13:29:55

Our Maltese Terrier was a shiverer, when she was excited or scared or tired as well as when she was cold. Hmm, pretty much all the time actually. I used to tuck her inside my jacket when we were out to keep her warm.

She does have a couple of wee coats but I am not sure if she will need them this winter.

She does not shiver nearly as much as she used to now that she is a bit older (10mths).

Will be watching for the pics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now