Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

border collies and cats

(4 Posts)
PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sat 25-Jul-09 20:15:01

How many of you with Border Collies also have cats?

My BC (Orca) is only 7 months old and is a real sweetie but she will not leave the cats alone.

We have 2 adult cats that were here before her and 3 kittens who were born after the puppy arrived.

Orca is forever sporting scratches because the cats are fed up with her but she still won't leave them alone. If we shut her away to give the cats a bit of breathing space away from her she goes ballistic and won't stop barking until she is let out again.

My husband (and probably the neighbours!) are getting fed up with her barking because she also barks as soon as I put her in the garden to toilet. If she is faced with a closed door anywhere she barks. If the washing machine, vacuum cleaner or tumble dryer are on - she barks.

Any ideas on how to reduce or hopefully stop her from spending most of the day barking and /or chasing the cats?

MitchyInge Sun 26-Jul-09 02:24:19

if she's not timid and has already learned a 'leave it' command but ignores it when it comes to cats you could try some aversive techniques, like squirting water in her face, pet corrector or possibly training discs

does she go to any training classes at all?

imbored Mon 27-Jul-09 00:34:39

i have a border collie with 2 cats, my bc is great with the cats really gentle, i'm sure your bc will grow out of it, shes only a baby smile

imbored Mon 27-Jul-09 00:39:01

normally bc's are very good at commands(mine is) clicker training is very good, also lots of time and praise is also good as they love to please their owners. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now