Talk

Advanced search

My dog has injured his dew claw - help!

(4 Posts)
Molesworth Sat 25-Jul-09 19:32:59

Sorry, it's me again blush

Ddog injured one of his dew claws while playing in the park today. We noticed that it was bleeding, so I have just cleaned it up as best I can. The bleeding has stopped and it is only painful when touched, but I'm concerned that he'll catch it again. Should I bandage it up somehow, get him to the vet to have it seen to, or just leave it?

FlappyTheBat Sat 25-Jul-09 19:37:21

Hi Molesworth, our dog did this last year and I thought he would have been ok, again his bleeding stopped really quickly.

After a couple of days he was still in a lot of pain so took him to the vet, he had the beginnings of an infection as he'd been licking it non stop. One dew claw removed and paw bandaged for a week.

As it's the weekend, I would bandage it up and see how he is at the beginning of the week,

hope he gets better soon,

Onlyaphase Sat 25-Jul-09 20:00:23

Hi Molesworth - our lab tore his dewclaw a while ago, not much blood and it wasn't bothering him. After a few weeks we could see that the old claw was hanging in there but a new tiny claw was growing underneath it. Trip to the vets, and the old claw was cut off (no mess or blood) and the new claw has grown in nicely

I'd see how he is on Monday and maybe take him to the vet if you aren't happy.

Molesworth Sat 25-Jul-09 23:17:01

Thanks flappy and only

Will keep a close eye on it and take him to the vet next week if it doesn't look any better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now