Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as valium for dogs or a homeopathic tranquiliser/soother?

(14 Posts)
citronella Thu 23-Jul-09 15:28:21

My neighbour's dog is terrified of storms and literally runs rampage and shakes with fear in a storm. How can he be calmed for the duration of the storm.

Have you tried a DAP diffuser, it works well but takes a bit of time to build up. Like for Nov 5th I would put it on the day before. So not sure how that would work with storms.

My cat used to be on valium, think it was just normal human valium but smaller dosage.

You can get DAP cheaper online than at the vets.

Rumpel Thu 23-Jul-09 15:47:56

Here

Try the valerian

http://www.dorwest.com/?gclid=CNi_sIWJ7JsCFYYU4wodzngI5w

Rumpel Thu 23-Jul-09 15:48:16

www.dorwest.com/?gclid=CNi_sIWJ7JsCFYYU4wodzngI5w

sorry!

citronella Thu 23-Jul-09 15:54:56

Rumpel that looks like just what he needs and it can be given as required. Will pass this info on. Thanks.

Rumpel Thu 23-Jul-09 15:59:32

Welcome

MaybeAfterBreakfast Thu 23-Jul-09 16:04:38

You can get CDs like this with thunder and firework noises. Supposed to help with desensitisation.

beautifulgirls Thu 23-Jul-09 16:52:37

Vallerian is useful, DAP collars/diffusers or sprays also help and also a drug from the vets called zylkene. Valium is also available but not necessarily the choice for this sort of situation these days.
As a previous posted has suggested the best way of dealing with this is to tackle the issue and desensitise the dog however with one of the CD programs that is available as it gets to the very heart of the problem, rather than just using "drugs" to chill out the dog. In the long term this is a much better option for the dog.

MadameCheese Thu 23-Jul-09 17:00:40

My mum gives her dog something prescribed by the vet (I think valium), she is too damaged to try any other methods I'm afraid

citronella Thu 23-Jul-09 17:04:01

Thanks will suggest CD and collar
What is DAP?

beautifulgirls Thu 23-Jul-09 20:50:33

DAP - a pheromone that helps to calm them. We can not smell it but it certainly does help some dogs.

Bachs rescue remedy is good and fine for pets, you can also use flower remedy Aspen which is for unknown fears.

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 23-Jul-09 21:01:20

My friend's cat had cat valium but it cost a fortune, something like £80 for a month's supply. I suppose if the dog is only going to have it when it's a storm it might be more affordable though.

Blackduck Thu 23-Jul-09 21:17:04

we use dap with our dog when travelling - spray it on an old tea towel and tie it round his neck so its near his head (you can buy impregnated collars but they are dear)...works for us....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now