Talk

Advanced search

going to see a wee dog today - should I take her home?

(26 Posts)
kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 10:49:32

I have been really thinking for ages aout getting a dog - I have 3 dcs (5.6,2.6,7m) and the older two adore dogs...

I always had dogs as a child and into adulthood so I know what's involved. I'm a bit concerned that I'd be taking too much on.

the dog in question is a 9 month old collie cross, she's house trained and apparently affectionate and good with kids...

My dh works away so I'd also feel a bit safer having a dog in the house. I haven't told him I'm doing this today! I don't want him to talk me out of it which I don't think he would as he's been keen to get a dog too.

Does anyone have any advice for me? My MIL thinks I'm nuts as I've already got my hands full, but I know how much the dc's would love to have their own dog, and I relaly can't imagine they'd ever get bored with her. We're constantly visiting friends and family who have dogs so they can play with them!

feeling a bit anxious now. Somebody reassure me!

10stonedog Thu 23-Jul-09 10:51:25

Will be a lot of work and not ideal unless you have lots of time for it (collies very bright and need their minds occupied otherwise can become destructive etc.).

If you're experienced and can give it lots of time then maybe, otherwise go for something a bit easier.

HTH

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 23-Jul-09 10:51:47

oooh - Collie's are VERY energetic and need lots of exercise. Could you manage with 3 small children?

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:05:46

well i'm a sahm so easy enough to fit dog walks into the day...we have secure garden too. he current owner says she needs about 2 hours exercise daily...

he is a collie cross (don't know what the cross part is!)

owner also said she's placid and small-medium sized - how much more will she grow if shes 9 month already?

newpup Thu 23-Jul-09 11:11:36

A collie may not be the best type of dog if you do not have lots of time for energetic walks and training.

Getting a dog really is a whole family decision as you will all be involved with the dog. I would talk it over with your DH before you go and fall in love with the puppy. Mentioning getting a dog in the future is not the same as seriously considering the commitment and practical implications of dog ownership.

You need to consider together;

Who will be the person responsible for the day to day walking and training of the dog?

Are you both prepared for any chewing or pooing in the house?

Have you thought about the expense of keeping a dog? Food,insurance,vet fees,flea/worm treatments,neutering costs?

The expense of kennels when you go away?

These are only some of the questions you need to think about with your DH.

Taking on a dog especially one that is already 9 months is a huge commitment and not to be undertaken without the full consent of both of you.

Lecture over grin

10stonedog Thu 23-Jul-09 11:13:01

At 9 mths she'll be just about fully grown - might fill out a bit, that's all.

If you can manage 2 long walks every day in all weathers then do it.

Ask lots of questions about why they are selling her now.

newpup Thu 23-Jul-09 11:13:15

Sorry just re read the bit where you said you know what is involved in keeping a dog but nonetheless you do need to decide together!

smile

10stonedog Thu 23-Jul-09 11:14:05

Wondered why newpup was ranting but then I saw the bit about not having told dh.

Don't do it without his consent - please!!!

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:17:26

they are rehoming her as her original owner apparently has had to move into accommodation where dogs aren't allowed; the owner's friend has been looking after her for 2 months.

I would pay for lifetime pet insurance to hopefully cover vet bills

we rarely go away so kennel costs would be minimal!

good posts everyone, thanks!

newpup Thu 23-Jul-09 11:18:00

Sorry if I came across as ranting!!! blush

Just think considering a dog without his knowledge is a very bad idea!

Apologies for ranting behaviour!

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:20:55

dh is in america just now. we have often talked about getting a dog but the general thought was we would wait till the kids were older - I've just been thinking lately, what am I waiting for, exactly?

pros:

the joy of having a dog
security aspect
kids would be delighted!

cons:
expense of food, vets etc
???

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:21:50

i didn't take it as ranting, newpup! thought it was a good though-provoking post.

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:22:28

thoughT-provoking!!!!

newpup Thu 23-Jul-09 11:26:12

cons:

You will not be able to spontaneously go out for the day, need to arrange dog care before hand.

The dog may not settle in as well as you hope and may revert to accidents in the house or chewing.

The dog may not get on with the children or vice versa.

Dragging 3 children out in the pouring rain in November for a 2 hour walk might not be much fun!

I hope that if you do go for it, everything works out but you could consider what will happen if it does not.

Good Luck.

smile

10stonedog Thu 23-Jul-09 11:34:38

Didn't really mean ranting, newpup (tis Bella here, long story...) but unlike you to be so negative - that's usually Bella's job grin

It's a big, life-changing decision, not to be undertaken lightly wink

kitkat9 Thu 23-Jul-09 11:38:11

ok, have decided to sleep on it tonight, talk to dh about it and if he's agreeable I'll go and see the dog tomorrow. I am feeling anxious about it probably because I haven't discussed it with dh.

I am very aware of what a big decision this is and absolutely don't want to take a dog on only to feel overwhelmed or that I have made the wrong choice. Above all, I don't want to let the dog down!

Thanks all for your advice, it's been very helpful.

wish me luck with dh!

smile

Ripeberry Thu 23-Jul-09 11:39:09

You need to factor in, that you won't be able to leave your children alone with the dog EVER!As you know even placid dogs can snap.
You also need to have somewhere that the dog can 'escape' from the children.

MmeLindt Thu 23-Jul-09 11:45:12

DH and I had talked in general about getting a dog and he was away on business when one of the school mums mentioned that their dog had puppies. I arranged to go and see the puppies, telling the DC that we were going to play with the puppies, not getting one.

I sent DH a couple of pics of the DC with "our" puppy (manipulative? Me?) and when he came home from his trip we talked and he agreed to our having a puppy. Tbh, he was not really keen.

It worked out well for us, our dog is lovely, not much work and she absolutely adores DH. He has come around to having a dog and spends more time greeting her after work than me

I am aware though, that it could have turned out very differently and that we were just lucky. If the dog had chewed things, or not been housetrained so quickly then DH would not have been pleased.

The work with the dog is mine. I do the feeding, walking, bathing, vet visits etc. Ok, I am a SAHM and that is fine, but our DC are older than yours so not so much work. And the dog does not need such long walks as a collie would.

Talk to your DH first. By all means, go and see the dog but you have to both want the dog.

MmeLindt Thu 23-Jul-09 11:45:59

XP

Good decision. Hope things go well with your discussion with DH

newpup Thu 23-Jul-09 13:09:39

Kitkat9 good decision to sleep on it and talk to your DH before falling in love!

Best of Luck with your decision! smile

Bella! Are you incognito? Is your dobe 10 stone already?shock

I am being negative aren't I! Might be because pup has just eaten my new plants for the garden! angry Only joking.

Just know how much discussion went into getting our girl as DH not keen on dogs. He has grown fond of her although would never admit it wink and she would have been a disaster if I had got her without discussion!

A mum at school got a puppy without telling her DH and they nearly split up over it although her dog was a holy terror and ate the house!

You know how much I love my girl and have been known to bore to tears with my puppy tales!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 23-Jul-09 13:25:53

bella has a weird amusing habbit of being MY 10.5 stone great swiss mountian dog grin

think she forgot to change names last night in all her postings .....

go and look up the sex ones in relationships and in aibu grin

bella is weird ....... but lovely and helpful smile

namedchangedtwice Thu 23-Jul-09 13:30:35

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 13:32:45

I agree with namechanged. DH and DD1 are desperate for a dog. But we don't have a house and there is NO way we can give what a dog deserves just now with three young children.

Bella21 Thu 23-Jul-09 21:52:29

Bella is weird? shock

Thats' it, Blondie - I am not going to tell you about the Lovehoney sale now.

Ooops shock

spugs Fri 24-Jul-09 07:14:28

I would definitely discuss it with the dh first though the fact hes mentioned wanting a dog is a good sign.

I made the huge mistake of getting a pup when i was at uni without asking him first, he hated it and it scarred him for life in relation to dogs! I ended up rehoming her with our house mate as I was way to irresponsible to look after a dog sad.

Since then we have had a rescue and now a puppy, hes not been keen on the idea but agreed and though he'll never particularly like them/do anything its workable.

Like everyone else has said collies are hard work and though i would have loved to get a collie i wouldnt have always had the time (or be arsed when its raining) to put in the exercise as i would be doing it by myself. Theres lots of other rescue dogs who have smaller energy requirements, but if your happy to do it and know what your taking on then good luck grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now