Talk

Advanced search

Male or Female Guinea Pigs?

(7 Posts)
NewYearNewBaby Wed 22-Jul-09 17:11:39

I am hoping to buy two Guinea Pigs at the weekend (assuming the hutch I've ordered arrives in time smile)

I have a toddler (age 2.5) so I would like as friendly a guinea pig as possible. My DD is generally a very sensible child (or as sensible as a toddler can be wink) so I'm hoping to get her involved with grooming etc.

Does anyone know whether males or females would be better? I'm am assuming that females would be less likely to fight - is this correct? I'm also assuming I should get two brothers or two sisters rather than mother/daughter or father/son?

Also has anyone got any tips to help them "settle in" once we get them?

Thanks very much for any help.

FigmentOfYourImagination Wed 22-Jul-09 17:23:00

Get 2 females.

One pig will be lonely unless you have lots of time for them and 2 males will fight once they reach sexual maturity (related or not).

We have 2 girls and they're FAB

NewYearNewBaby Thu 23-Jul-09 10:44:54

Thank you for your help! Think 2 females will be great. My hutch has also arrived today so will be getting our two new guinea pigs at the weekend!

10stonedog Thu 23-Jul-09 10:47:28

Both are delicious <drools>

Females a bit fattier, males bit more meaty.

Good in a casserole wink

SausageRocket Sat 25-Jul-09 20:30:21

NYNB - Have you got your piggies yet ? How are they settling in ? smile

SausageRocket Sat 25-Jul-09 20:34:12

BTW - re tips for settling in. Just leave them alone as much as you can for the first few days. Don't attempt to pick them up for a good while yet. Gradually get them used to your voice buy talking to them (through a closed cage/hutch) in a calm, relatively quiet way. Eventually they will peep out of their hidey hole and look at you. Once they are ok with you talking to them you can begin to start leaving treats of fresh fruit & veg for them, but don't attempt to handfeed yet - you'll freak them out! If you take your time they should be settled and cuddleable by about 3-4 weeks. I know that sounds like a long time but they are quiet, timid animals and patience is the key to settling them in.

ChristieF Tue 28-Jul-09 15:32:00

We have had two female gps for four years. They are very fond of each other. Pets at Home where we bought them told us that females easier to handle for kids. Obviously don't get one of each they breed like mad. They are lovely chunky cuddlesome creatures. We keep our indoors now in a cage specially for gps and rabbits (utility room) as their food was attracting lots of mice into the garden. Also don't like them outdoors in winter. They were bought for my 14 year old son years ago and will still be here when he's gone. They sqeak loudly too when they see me. Very sweet. Talk to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now