Talk

Advanced search

which breed of dog for allergic DS?

(21 Posts)
wigglybeezer Wed 22-Jul-09 12:01:33

DS1 desperate for a dog, we are considering it and therefore borrowed a family members' young Border terrier for a day and night to see how the children behaved etc. DS1 was very responsible etc. but his eyes puffed up, this was unexpected as he has spent time around dogs at other peoples houses (eg sister' whippet) and this has not happened.

Is he likely to react to rough or long haired dogs but be okay with smooth coated breeds do you think? (the terrier was quite doggy smelling compared to the whippet).

Anyone solved this problem in their family?

quietmum Wed 22-Jul-09 13:03:46

There are some breeds that don't moult e.g. tibetan terriers (we have one) which might be suitable for you. They are fairly high maintentance as they need a lot of grooming, but my family has allergies (hayfever and eczema) and it has been fine with him.

flame17 Wed 22-Jul-09 13:12:11

I have dog allergies and was told some years ago to go for long haired dogs rather than short haired dogs as it's actually something on the skin that causes the allergic reaction not the actual dog hair.
My DD also has allergies and my mum was convinced it was our dog that was setting her off. When I asked at the hospital they said as the dog has always been there (we have had him longer than the kids) she would be immune to him, so he wasn't the problem but it didn't mean that she won't react to other dogs.

aGalChangedHerName Wed 22-Jul-09 13:14:25

We looked online and spoke to friends and breeds like Lhasa Apso are meant to be good. Also Bichon Frise (which is what we are getting) but have a look online - google perhaps?

aGalChangedHerName Wed 22-Jul-09 13:15:58

Look for non-shedding or hypo-allergenic breeds.

hatwoman Wed 22-Jul-09 13:18:46

labradoodles were specifically bred for people with allergies. I'm fairly sure poodles are good as well. It's usually - but not always - what's called dander that people are allergic to (rather than hair) - iirc dander is basically dog dandruff.

hatwoman Wed 22-Jul-09 13:20:00

list here

smartiejake Wed 22-Jul-09 13:20:08

Spanish water dogs are supposed to be hypolallergenic.Look here

hatwoman Wed 22-Jul-09 13:22:06

I challenge you to resist trevor. (I'm not entirely sure but I think he may in fact be a cuddly toy and not a dog at all)

abraid Wed 22-Jul-09 13:36:13

Bichon frisees crossed with either Westies, Jack Russells or Yorkies are incredibly gorgeous, healthy and low-allergenic/no-moulting. We looked at about four litters today at the kennels we're buying our dog from. They were very engaging little dogs and so pretty.

oopsadaisyangel Wed 22-Jul-09 13:55:24

My friend who is allergic to moulting dog hair has a Kerry Blue terrior, lovely looking dog. kerry blue

shellye Wed 22-Jul-09 14:47:51

I am allergic to most dogs. I also have a mad Tibetan Terrier and I am not allergic to him. Its not always about the fur/ hair that causes the allergy it is often to do with the saliva.

MmeLindt Wed 22-Jul-09 14:52:21

My DH is allergic to dogs but has no problems with our Maltese Terrier/Cavalier King Charles. Similar to the Bichon Frise (actually called Bichon Maltese in French).

Pics on my profile of our dog, we got her when she was a puppy. She is the sweetest, gentlest dog imaginable.

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 22-Jul-09 14:53:27

Labradoodle smile

spugs Wed 22-Jul-09 17:24:28

bichons, poodles, maltese, schnauzers,lhasas and shih tzus are some of the ones though i think the bichons and poodles are best as their curley coats dont let the dander escape as much.
I have a bichon x schnauzer who doesnt shed and doesnt set of my friends bad allergies.

spugs Wed 22-Jul-09 17:31:22

ok, he should be on my profile grin

wigglybeezer Wed 22-Jul-09 17:33:15

can't find your profile spugs but i bet he is cute.

MitchyInge Wed 22-Jul-09 17:33:25

labradoodle innit

abraid Thu 23-Jul-09 20:23:17

Have a look here at these Cavachons (Cavalier King Charles crossed with Bichons).

We saw some of these puppies and they are just gorgeous.

images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://9.media.tumblr.com/xVuNrPlHd9eh9nmtCNI0Rva5_500.jpg&imgrefurl =http://suitep.tumblr.com/post/36744291/karion-that-is-the-pea-holding-darbys-little&usg=__7GPlqWmi5 mt9OWrUfTb3OMUAaN0=&h=640&w=480&sz=72&hl=en&start=18&sig2=D1SHxUn0QDm5pYlCRSNeWA&um=1&tbnid=ylD_1ReP -v3Z9M:&tbnh=137&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbichon%2Bcrossed%2Bwith%2Bspaniel%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1I7 DKUK_en%26um%3D1&ei=MbhoSvewIsqvjAeU4MmvCw

raggitty555 Fri 31-Jul-09 16:52:27

I have bad asthma and we have a bichon - not a problem a t all...good luck

wingandprayer Fri 31-Jul-09 17:05:51

Another vote for schnauzer. My mum has miniature one (is proper knee high dog size contrary to what name implies), but giant schnauzers also lovely. Great temprament, ideal with kids. Simply great dogs. My stepmother madly allergic to dogs but never has issue with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now