humping dog

(145 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Tue 21-Jul-09 21:22:22

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

our monster is

<blondes whispers>

starting to hump

<whispers even quieter - children> blush

eldest had friend over last week for play after school (and yes this blonde cooked a fab homemade meal - but i regress ...)

friend 6 was kneeling on grass,and puppy crouched over him and was about to hump, when i saw, and yelled,and dog ran away - friend was ok - didnt know what had happened

yesterday was worse blush

more friends over and boy 5 was just standing in garden, when monster puppy went up to him, put his paws on shoulder and literally was trying to shag him blush

boy fell over, and dog carried on - i was at other end of garden (its a big one) and i yelled and charged to end of garden to try and pull dog off

remember he is 10.5 stone - dog ran off, and i yelled at him, and put him in his cage

mb was at home and asked what dog had done (she heard me screaming at dog) and i said dog had just tried to shag friend

mb was shock and blush

luckily friend5 didnt know what had really happened, and we just said dog was naughty for pushing him over

i want to chop his balls off NOW, as does mb but db wants to breed from him,as he is a pedigree and a lovely boy (normally)

he is 13mths - how old does a dog have to be to be a daddy?

so

bella, king and anyone else

what do we do to stop it?

<blonde gets out A SHARP knife and iron to cauterize>

thank you

blush blush blush

Doodle2u Tue 21-Jul-09 22:55:34

grin

1st - into crate when friends visit.

2nd - is DB qualified to breed and breed with which bitch? and do what, exactly with pups?.....not a decision to be taken lightly IME & IMO.

3rd - old enough for the snip now.

spugs Wed 22-Jul-09 08:30:06

Alfie does this when hes excited grin but hes only about 10lbs grin

Clapping our hands at him works really well and he stops.

A lot of people advise leaving dogs till there fully mature till they get the snip especially large breed dogs. I think it depends on the breed but its about 18 mths/2 yrs for the bigger breeds.

Also getting the snip doesnt mean he will stop humping.

Our vet has said he'll do Alfie at 5 mths but hopefully we'll hold off as long as possible.

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 09:09:25

Aww, Blondie sad

This is really hard - almost impossible - to stop, if he really is set on it. It's his instinct, his hormones, and he will find it very hard not to do it. If you can't exclude him try a water pistol or training discs, but the latter takes time to train with and tbh neither amy have any effect.

He is borderline old enough to castrate in respect of his joints.

You really need to get firm with him. Not Woofa, but db. It's usually the man of the household who has problems getting the dog's nads off. If he is serious about breeding then Woofa would not only have to be pedigree but have passed health checks for the specific breed and quite probably have proved himself in the show ring, otherwise no-one will want him as a stud dog.

Until then Woofa will keep on doing what comes naturally, and if there's a bitch -even within miles - in season he'll do everything in his power to get to her, often with disastrous consequences sad

There are also health benfits to Woofa if he's castrated, in terms of a much reduced risk of tumours, and humping and quite possibly ejaculating over small children is, I am sure, not what you want.

Best of luck - don't envy you. You have to deal with the consequences but don't get to make the decision.

<passes Blondie a hob nob or three>

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 12:27:27

What Bella said, whoever walks this dog is going to get a nasty shock if he decides that he wants to get to a bitch on heat. Nothing will stop him, a halti or whatever will have no effect if he is determined, roads won't stop him, fences probably won't stop him....

Db needs to have a serious thought about breeding, why breed him? Yes he has blood lines and temprament but so do many others, he has not been shown so he has no advantage like that.... it seems (to me) that db has a whole male sympathy/pride thing going on grin TBH though, that is not a good enough reason!

All dogs hump at some point, it is natural, the thing is most young children can cope if a little terrer mix finds their leg attractive, this dog is huge and will seriously hurt someone if you are not all very careful, if it is a freinds child then you could end up with serious trouble even if they just get a scratch or something, never mind if someone gets a serious bump or strain.

bethoo Wed 22-Jul-09 12:39:41

get the dog castrated, he is not mounting children for sex, he is showing dominance and you and your partner should be able to stop him from doing this as you should be the alpha leaders of his pack.
do not just breed the dog because you want to, there are enough unwanted dogs overcrowding the kennels and what with the credit crunch not many people can afford to buy an expensive dog let alone the food it eats and the vets bills.
the dog needs to be corrected when it decides to mount anything, as soon as you notice hsi behaviour divert his attention (not with food) but with a firm voice like a no or a tsk. it has to be consistant too. otherwise you will slowly put off your friends from coming round incase your dog feels the need to ejaculate all over their children!

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 12:40:22

lol at hump kids

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 12:42:06

Bethoo he is acting out his need, it is caused by sexual frustration not dominance. This is a puppy.

bethoo Wed 22-Jul-09 12:46:31

not always the case i am afraid. the dog is 13 months so he is not too young as an uneautered male testing the waters to see how far his boundaries are, of which there appears to be none.
anyway this is not really about whether it is dominance r not but what to do about the problem. and if it is frustration then the worst thing she can do is breed as he will be even worse and will need ot breed all the time. best is to castrate and teach him it is not acceptable behaviour.
i had a whole boxer and he never mounted anything!

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 12:50:34

Different dogs behave differently, that is like saying "I can write a book on how to make a baby sleep because my baby slept through from 8 weeks" Well, that is great for you but is unlikely to be anything you did and is much more likely to be about the character etc of the baby (or dog in this case).

I agree that he should be told no but that will have limited effect if he is following his hormones.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 12:51:51

Also, from everything Blondes has ever said there has been no other behaviour to indicate that the dog is one who pushes boundaries.

I managed to convince dp to get our dog castrated by asking him the following - if you were only likely to get laid a few times in your lifetime wouldn't you rather just have no urge at all?

Seems far kinder to me. Though there is no guarantee it did stop our dog humping.

And agree, just because he is pedigree is no reason to breed him, you need to really know what you are doing. Also once he has a taste for it he will be even harder to control around bitches iyswim.

bethoo Wed 22-Jul-09 12:58:27

well i had two boxers and the brother who i later had castrated used to mount the brother, not for sex but to dominate, and that was before they hit one so where is your theory now?

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 13:26:24

wherethewildthings - love your rationale: that's brill grin

Bethoo - we're talking about a specific dog here and we know quite a bit about him, so that's why KC is saying he's not dominant.

Not all dogs want to be dominant. If you think that then ask the scientific community and they will quickly put you straight. It's an extremely outdated theory.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 13:44:18

The way dogs interact with each other is a different thing entirely to the way they interact with people, mainly because we are not dogs.

So that is where my theory is now hmm

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 14:20:57

...another critical plank of the huge raft of evidence which blows the 'dogs are wolves' theory right out of the water grin

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 14:25:03

Indeed grin

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 14:29:27

<scratches arse in chimp-like manner>

grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 22-Jul-09 18:31:24

thanks guys

indeed i feel that bell and king know our pup well - from toilet training him, to car training him smile he generally a real softie, never hurts, very soft and gentle with our 13mth baby - though is known for being a thief with cheese and organic pork grin

db , i think wants to breed from him as he is 100% pedigree and the owner we got him from (was only male in litter) would like to breed from him with one of her bitches ( i think) and our breed is quite rare

i cant always shut him up, or will never be out of the cage grin as we are either out or have friends round

spugs - if only puppy was 10lbs and not 10stone

though tech now he is over a year is he still a puppy?

will see what happened when have friends round next time ...

<grabs whole packet of hob nobs and stuffs in mouth>

oh the shame blush

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 18:40:41

..the shame of the humping or the shame of the whole packet of hobnobs? grin

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 19:22:17

Blondes, I would say he is a puppy until at least 18 months, if not 2 - maybe not officially but certainly in terms of his mental attitude grin

othersideofthefence Wed 22-Jul-09 19:41:33

Am I the only one who sniggered at

i yelled and charged to end of garden to try and pull dog off

blush

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 19:48:14

Sorry, innocent little me missed that one, however it is very unusual for Bella to miss a one liner like that - Belllaaaa, Oh Beeelllllaaaa are you feeling ok? hmm grin

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 20:30:24

Still don't get it shock

I am either mega thick or it is due to my minor illness (shivering and mild tummy upset, but no temp hence no Tamiflu just yet...).

You decide, guys sad

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:10

..oh - is it an allusion to masturbation? Does one pull a chap off? If so, it's a new one on me.

See - you can teach an old dog new tricks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now