Talk

Advanced search

Am I meeting my cat's emotional needs?

(6 Posts)
HuffwardlyRouge Tue 21-Jul-09 15:41:52

We appear to have accidentally aquired a cat. We're not really cat people. I'm happy to meet its medical needs and feed and shelter it, but I really don't want to cuddle and stroke her.

Does this matter?

She's quite young.

She 'play bites' my feet when I go out to the washing line. What's that about? It doesn't hurt but I wish she wouldn't do it.

She has scratched my children, but not badly at all, and they were being a bit overenthusiastic at the time.

We're not in the UK. There are no cats homes. She was abandoned by her family we think. I don't want to se her starve or get sick. Is that enough?

MummyElk Tue 21-Jul-09 15:45:30

i think as long as you feed her and do all of the things you mention, she'll get love from someone somewhere - cats are very self-sufficient things. if she doesn't get what she wants from you - she'll leave!
The children sound like they'll love her, once they've got over the initial excitement.
if she's young the biting feet thing is just excitement, she's testing you. tell her off firmly. eventually she'll grow out of it.
hope that makes sense

edam Tue 21-Jul-09 15:48:24

Sounds enough to me - and presumably to her. smile As long as you aren't actively hostile and chasing her out of the house with a broom I wouldn't worry.

My late lamented moggy had a real thing about feet. And my new kitten enjoys pouncing on them - I'm hoping he grows out of it and keeping my socks on indoors!

HuffwardlyRouge Tue 21-Jul-09 18:30:32

Thanks both.

I am an animal person, but I've never really 'got' cats.

MummyElk Tue 21-Jul-09 23:44:22

maybe she's there to change your mind wink
good luck with her!

junglist1 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:32:19

For you to take on this cat even though you're not cat people is a really lovely thing to do, if only everyone was as compassionate towards animals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now