Talk

Advanced search

Pets At home Guinea Pig Hutch Assembly Rant

(10 Posts)

I've just (stupidly I know) bought 2 guinea pigs and a hutch today. The hutches are all on "display" about 20ft up in the air so you can't actually see them - just the fronts. So now I've got it home it looks tiny but they assured mw the size is fine for 2 guineas. Its 5ft x 40cm x 40cm. Its just the depth seems tiny. I dunno.

But what makes me laugh is the 20 mi nassembly time quoted on the box. Its shitty, cheap plywood (even though bumph said tongue and groove). Only the front is tongue and groove. There are no pre-drilled holes. Instructions just say to screw through the wood. I daren't try - even if I'm strong enough (doubt it) and I'm worried the wood will split. So I have 2 guinea pigs in a small cardboard box in the front room at the moment.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:06:23

What are you going to do?

chickchickchickee Mon 20-Jul-09 17:29:42

I would suggest taking the hutch back to get your money back, and maybe bidding on a bigger hutch on ebay.

IME Pets at home etc will have you buy the smallest cages when really bigger is so so much better

chickchickchickee Mon 20-Jul-09 17:31:08

No idea where you are located, but this is a bit of a bargain

Thanks for the advice. I've been out and bought a much better (pre-assembled) hutch and run second hand from an ad in the paper. Will take the other back tomorrow.

Smurfgirl Mon 20-Jul-09 17:42:40

Enjoy your new pigs!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 17:52:44

We are getting rabbits in September and DH has already picked a hutch from PAH.

I am wondering now if we should go elsewhere??

I would insist on having a good, close up inspection of one before getting one. I've reviously had a Happy Hutch (google them) ad the PAH quality isn't as good as that.

The one I've got today (the 2nd one) is hand made by a local joiner and very good quality.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 20-Jul-09 18:03:51

The one from PAH is £100 and I don't even know if it is real wood.

npg1 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:54:39

I have had a similar thing, i brought 2 rabbits on friday and same as you rushed out to get hutch first, I got the poppy den, it is actually quite big and tall. I liked the guinea pig one but the woman said it wouldnt be tall enough for 2 bunnies, I have them in together at mo and hoping they will stay together.

Hutch was flat pack, took me about 45 mins to put together and now I have a massive blister on the palm of my hand from all the screwing!

I am quite happy with it though and thought it was worth £50!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now