Talk

Advanced search

DD wants guinea pigs - what do I need to know.

(5 Posts)

She has rabbits already and I understand they can't be kept together. So I need to get a seperate hutch and run for them.

We're getting short on space so would they be ok in a hutch and then if I get a collapsible/folding run they could go in the run in the day when I'm at home. Would they be ok just been in the hutch when I'm at work? I thin kthe rabbits are spoilt as they have a huge hutch/run combo with access into the run 24/7.

I read that the hutch has to be in a garage in the winter as guinea pigs feel the cold. We don't have a garage but do have a (unheated) brick outbuilding. Woudl they be ok IF WE MOVED THE HUTCH INTO THERE in the winter?

Thanks

shigella92 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:53:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thanks for that. I read somewhere to give them orange juice as this helps with their Vit C intake.

morocco Mon 20-Jul-09 21:35:50

never heard the oj thing - mine won't go near oranges though but they love a tasty bit of cucumber or celery. they are lovely pets - really sociable and squeaky. we haven't had ours long but brick outbuilding sounds better than a shed and that's what loads of people keep them in over winter.

Mummy2LZ Mon 20-Jul-09 21:51:42

All sounds good, just make sure you feed them Guinea pig food rather than rabbit food as this has the added Vit C.
Also lots of Hay to keep teeth down.
ANd fresh fruit and veg.
Ours used to love Apples and Carrots.
I miss that squeak!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now