Talk

Advanced search

Would it be OK to put tea tree oil on our dog's wart to try to heal it?

(10 Posts)
MarieCeleste Sun 19-Jul-09 22:24:12

The vet says it's not worth anaesthesia plus surgery, but the wart (on his forehead)(the dog's not the vet's) is getting bigger. If he were a child, I'd be putting tea tree oil on it to clear it up, but we've only had a dog for a short time, and I don't know if aromatherapy oils are OK on dogs. Please don't shout at me if out of the question. smile

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 12:31:26

Warty woof woof??

shigella92 Mon 20-Jul-09 20:01:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissyBellatrix Mon 20-Jul-09 20:16:20

I believe tea tree oil is poisonous to cats and dogs.

If it's not painful just unsightly, then leave it alone or pay for treatment. Please don't tinker with it yourself.

Just in case you don't know also - chocolate is poisonous to dogs so don't let the DCs give him any. An overdose of chocolate can kill a dog. There are special dog chocolate drops if you want to treat.

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 20:56:41

Thanks, I won't risk it, altho I have heard of many like your mum, shigella. No, he doesn't have chocolate! The vet won't remove it because the risk of anaesthetic is currently greater. If we could cure it by natural means, it would be better, it does bother him a bit.

MissyBellatrix Mon 20-Jul-09 22:28:55

I have found this link for you here with other natural remedies for warts on dogs (scroll down to remedies section at the end).

PHTH smile

MissyBellatrix Mon 20-Jul-09 22:29:57

PHTH?!?

HTH smile

MissyBellatrix Mon 20-Jul-09 22:31:31

Sorry forgot to add pre-tinkering, to maybe run it past the vet first although castor oil and Vit E should be harmless.

MarieCeleste Tue 21-Jul-09 01:07:42

Oh thanks, castor oil would be very easy. Also reassuring to read that info. I might also try vit E if the castor oil fails. And I had been thinking about thuja, only I'm having a homeopathy crisis of faith atm.

But a very helpful link - brilliant! Will have to show dd. I was also a bit worried that we could catch the warts, so glad we can't.

fortyplus Tue 21-Jul-09 01:17:47

Tea tree oil can be toxic to dogs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now