Talk

Advanced search

Poor pup - massive worm infestation

(8 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Thu 16-Jul-09 12:11:40

So my Border terrier is 14 weeks old now (amazingly) and doing well - ok she's actually a handful but that's another thread

Last week DH saw little, very wriggly white worms in her poo. She was due at the vet in the next couple of days so we phoned to check - fine, said the vet, just keep your appointment, no need to bring her in earlier.

So over the next 2 days there were worms everywhere - spontaneously coming out shock.

Industrial strength wormer prescribed, one a week for a month, then she's to move onto her regular programme plus. It's all fine now, no worms seen since the first dose.

But I was totally shocked - she has been wormed at all the proper times so far, so I thought that would prevent it. My eyes have been opened. I have a lot to learn...

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 22:09:31

Bump.

Sherbert37 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:21:23

Oh poor pup. I was wondering how you were getting along. I'll need to check in the morning as mine is asleep now, having put herself to bed at 10pm on the dot as she does every night. She has become quite lazy in the house now we are walking her. I'm loving taking her out especially as the weather is so good. We have breakfast outside together every morning - I don't think it has been wet once since we got her. What it yours up to?

doggiesayswoof Fri 17-Jul-09 09:56:41

Hi Sherbert and thanks for the bump HolyGuacamole!

Ours has her mad moments chasing toys around the kitchen, but DH thinks she is half cat - she puts herself to bed too and doesn't protest if she falls asleep somewhere else and we have to shuffle her into her crate!

The biggest challenge atm is pulling on the lead when she's out and general ott behaviour at puppy training classes - the training is coming along well at home but at class she is too excited about the other pups to concentrate, I guess this is very normal but it's trying.

Some wet weather here the past few days - she really doesn't like the rain!

Glad it's going well with you Sherbert. Sounds like a lovely wee dog you've got smile

Bella21 Fri 17-Jul-09 14:32:19

Try this for pulling - on a loose lead and in a big open space, start walking with pup. As soon as she starts pulling, turn 180 degrees and keep walking (don't tug or pull, just walk purposefully). As soon as pup catches up and is beside you, praise her & say 'heel' or whatever'. Repeat every time she pulls. 5 mins of this before a walk works wonders, and it's a good way to teach them to heel.

HTH

doggiesayswoof Fri 17-Jul-09 16:18:05

Thank you Bella - will try! This is similar to an idea puppy trainer suggested this week - I'll have a go tomorrow. Do you rate harnesses? I am worried about her poor little neck.

Bella21 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:43:00

fwiw I much prefer harnesses to haltis, but you shouldn't really need either for a border terrier. She's just learning at the mo, and you'll get there.

Bella21 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:46:23

..and you shouldn't really be putting any pressure as such on her neck, so she'll be okay with a collar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now