Talk

Advanced search

Male or Female puppy?

(28 Posts)
amizzymummy Wed 15-Jul-09 16:15:26

I know this has been done before but.....we are thinking of getting a pup later in the year (once holiday over) kids very excited and DH ok although has never had a dog before.

I have had dogs over the years and have always had boys, but after talking to people at work and lurking on here i'm confused hmm

Obviously not a huge fan of the lipstick thingy but also have no idea about doggy girly bits??

Can anyone give me an honest pro and cons type list about what to expect from the different sexes, thanks x

aGalChangedHerName Wed 15-Jul-09 16:31:18

I hate the lipstick thingy too so we have chosen to get a bitch. We are getting her spayed asap. Vet reckons we can have her done before her 1st season if we time it properly.

amizzymummy Wed 15-Jul-09 17:11:52

how old should they be to get spayed then? sorry have zero experience of this

amizzymummy Wed 15-Jul-09 17:11:56

how old should they be to get spayed then? sorry have zero experience of this

amizzymummy Wed 15-Jul-09 17:14:55

oops sorry didn't mean to do that blush

aGalChangedHerName Wed 15-Jul-09 17:17:47

The vets place i spoke to said around 6 months. If she has a season you have to wait until 3 months after that to have her done.

I haven't a clue either tbh blush I did start 2 threads about puppy training etc and a poster recommended The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey and it arrived today from Amazon. Looks really good. You could get it at the library tho.

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 15-Jul-09 17:22:15

Hi- you can have a bitch spayed at around 5 months (some rescue centres do them even earlier), although some people prefer them to have had a season first- there are a few pros and cons, but I'm not usually bothered either way (sorry, I'm a vet! Not a weirdo!)
I'm not sure there is much to choose between a dog and a bitch. I had a dog first, then got a bitch, thinking bitches might be smarter (of course!), cleaner and quieter- unfortunately my bitch is a nightmare and far harder work than my dog ever was! Also, she has made herself very much my DH's dog, despite me doing all the walking/ feeding etc, and as such doesn't REALLY accept me as leader of the pack, so she behaves abysmally for me (runs away, won't recall, trots off and rolls in fox poo), while whenever DH has her out she is an angel! On the other hand, my old boy is MY dog! grin

amizzymummy Wed 15-Jul-09 17:22:23

I saw that and thought it looked good, think i will see if i can get it too.

Need to get serious puppy head on after our hols.

The more i look into this the more confused i get, i just want to make sure we do everything right, (although im getting secretly very excited as have wanted a pup for ages now and have convinced DH its for the girls) wink

aGalChangedHerName Wed 15-Jul-09 17:34:40

Jooly since you are her and an expert to boot,what are the cons? Anything to worry about?

Amizzymummy i am bursting with excitement!!! Like you have always wanted a dog and DH professes not to be keen on them hmm but he was the one who started talking about it. We are collecting her on the 8th/9th of August after our holiday. I would love to get her sooner but the caravan we hve booked says NO PETS. I did half joke with DH about cancelling the hols and having her now but no go lol

newpup Wed 15-Jul-09 17:50:57

Hello. I have a 13 month old lab bitch. My parents have always had labs and have had a mixture of dogs and bitches.

I chose a bitch because lab boys can be a bit boisterous as 'teens' and the bitches tend to be more biddable however that is a generalisation!

Bitches can be spayed from 6 months but my vet will not perform the operation until they have had a season. The first season occurs between 6-12 months, my girl was 7 months. I was really stressed about it beforehand but I got lots of advice on here and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. She was very clean and slept alot!

Having a bitch spayed is a more expensive operation than having a dog neutered.

I love my girl and she is very biddable and eager to please but I also love my parents boys who are bouncy and lovely!

Good Luck!

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 18:26:14

<waves at newpup>

Going to throw a spanner in the works here...

I have a 14 month old lab boy who is as biddable, affectionate and non-boisterous as anyone could expect a lab to be, boy or girl.

I also have a slightly aloof Dobermann bitch hmm

Depends on the breed and the individual dog and the upbringing.

Best of luck wink

newpup Wed 15-Jul-09 18:47:28

Hello Bella! (waves)

I did say it was a generalisation!! grin

Dobe pup? shock grin

Bella Bella - you naughty girl!

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:30:37

blush

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:31:54

Actually I think my lab may be <whispers> gay.

He doesn't mount anyone or anything, is really soppy, and has impeccable dress sense grin

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 19:36:40

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 19:37:43

Message withdrawn

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:38:28

grin

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:39:06

Actually, which thread were you looking for, cos that one sounds really interesting grin

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 19:41:37

Message withdrawn

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:43:21

I've had a good life - I've seen the world, slept with lots of men. I'm ready to go...

Please tell me.

Now.

grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 16-Jul-09 11:53:48

Message withdrawn

Bella21 Thu 16-Jul-09 11:58:45

I think we've met before, Shiney.

Weren't you the one in that well-cut white jacket with the fastenings up the back grin

I was the one with the electrodes on my head.

As you were, ladies wink

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 16-Jul-09 12:01:18

Message withdrawn

Bella21 Thu 16-Jul-09 12:03:49

pmsl - toilet break coming up methinks grin

This is the very serious Pets area of MN.

No frippery or jollity here.

No sirree.

We are serious.

We talk poos, wees, worms, fleas and Other Serious Things.

Should you wish to join in, you will have to conduct yourself with utmost decorum at all times.

<blows massive raspberry>

amizzymummy Thu 16-Jul-09 15:50:44

amizzymummy waves at all the nice ladies and says thankyou for lovely replies, then decides the thread about dyeing it blue sounds much more fun than hers and heads off to search for that wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now