Talk

Advanced search

What time do you feed your cat?

(23 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 16:01:41

Ours gets breakfast before 7 and before anyone else.

Lately she has been asking for tea earlier and earlier and has started today at 3.45pm. Way too early. I have told her if she has tea too early she will be starving for breakfast and have to wait longer but she doesn't understand care.

She usually gets biscuits for supper to get her to bed.

She has an illness which means she shouldn't get stressed so in all seriousness should I just feed her when she asks?

She has gone off in a huff now.hmm

PuppyMonkey Wed 15-Jul-09 16:04:02

Mine gets fed first thing in the am and then he gets a bit more at about 7pm if he's very lucky. He sometimes gives me a hmm look as if to say: "Is that it, where's the caviar?" But I just ignore him.

They are huffy aren't they? grin

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 15-Jul-09 16:04:06

I wouldn't feed her but that is because I have a cat that is a ganet she is seriously over weight, she beggs for food about 3-4 hours after breakfast and continues to beg until she is fed at 6pm

She doesnt seem to have a full switch, and would eat all day if we let her.

so in answer to your question she gets fed every 12 hours 6am & 6pm (unless we get up a bit later in which case she is fed as soon as we get up)

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Jul-09 16:04:11

Mine usually want to eat just before it gets dark, so can be quite demanding in the middle of winter.

I alsways fee them at7am and 7pm 1/4 of a tin each, adn some crunchies on top.

MitchyInge Wed 15-Jul-09 16:04:24

I just leave food out all the time blush but I have 3 plus a few scraggy strays

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 16:05:52

I will only feed her twice a day so didn't mean I would feed her every time she asked grin just any time from when we are home from the school run.

When she was a kitten she used to get breakfast, lunch and tea. hmm

CMOTdibbler Wed 15-Jul-09 16:07:37

Ours get fed three times a day, and have free access to dry food.

treedelivery Wed 15-Jul-09 16:08:48

I feed the cat every time he or I move, as he whines all the freaking time and it drives me freaking nuts.

He's overweight. Aren't we all [in my house].

They are designed to eat little and often, hence will nearly always leave a bit for later. Not that they will eat that bit, prefering a fresh bowl.

Blooming hard work for a lot of hairs and sleep.

PuppyMonkey Wed 15-Jul-09 16:11:24

yes, treedelivery, they always leave a bit and won't eat it later don't they? We try mixing the leftover bit up, but he just looks at you as if to say WTF? hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 16:12:46

Yes, ours leaves a bit for later.

5 minutes later. hmmgrin

NorbertDentressangle Wed 15-Jul-09 16:13:44

Ours gets fed on average 3 times a day.

She has medication for thyroid problems so has this with her breakfast 7.30am ish and with dinner 10pm ish. In between she usually has another meal. She lost a lot of weight just before her thyroid problem was diagnosed so we're still fattening her up.

She tends to not return to uneaten food in this weather as it goes off so quickly so is more likely to be given small amounts more often.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 15-Jul-09 16:16:48

Uneaten food!!!

Wow our munchkin eats anything she sees, including veggies or any food I leave on the side envy at a cat who controls their own intake.

Zorayda Wed 15-Jul-09 16:32:16

Our cat doesn't have a "full" switch in her head, and will quite happily eat until she makes herself ill. As a result we have to give her little small meals - one at 6am, one at 8.30am, another as soon as we get home from work and then a final meal for supper. She begs so piteously inbetweentimes that we've started calling her Olivia Twist.

The annoying thing is that I don't need to get up until 7.30am to get ready for work, so am actually dragging myself out of bed an hour and a half before I need to so that she can have 'first breakfast'. Silly cat.

Dophus Wed 15-Jul-09 16:33:59

Free access to dry food - when it runs out they remind me!

Yesterday it was a dead mouse in the empty bowl - I got the message.

Zorayda Wed 15-Jul-09 16:36:42

On a more helpful note, have you asked your vet for advice? Ours was really helpful. If they get overweight from eating too much it puts more stress on their joints and restrict their agility, and could lead to them getting diabetes, which would cause them even more stress?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 16:36:50

Zorayda - I don't think it is the cat that is silly. grin

IotasCat Wed 15-Jul-09 16:39:16

We feed ours on demand (frequently) and he always has a bowl of dried stuff down

Bella21 Wed 15-Jul-09 18:34:13

Measured amount of dry food at 10pm so they are all in at bedtime wink

differentID Wed 15-Jul-09 18:44:19

ours get dry food put in their bowl at 8 pm and there's usually plenty left for the morning. They begin miaowing for more at 6.30 ish, but I don't give in.

Zorayda Wed 15-Jul-09 22:44:53

Fab - you're right. we've only had her three months and she's an elderly rescue, and possibly the most spoilt cat in the world. DP even puts an ice cube in her water when it's hot outside. blush

However, we love her to pieces and it's horrid for all of us when she's poorly (the first time she was sick my instinct was to calm her down and clean up the vom in case seeing it upset her - it was only after that I realised I would have expected to be a bit grossed out by it).

On the other hand, this means that DP is used to me being tired from grumpy about 'night feeds' and picking up some of the slack. I know it's nowhere near like having a baby, but it's not too bad as groundwork...

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 16-Jul-09 11:55:35

Ah, another man who makes out he isn't fussed about the cat but is a big softy really. grin

PurpleOne Fri 17-Jul-09 00:13:02

ours is fed early morning about 9am, plus babies get fed too. 4 little dishes all lined up.
they have dried food left out all day and than another main meal when we eat dinner (stops them pestering lol)
then another bowl full of biccies before bed time.

they are all hiding now due to huge thunder storm and i dont know where they all are!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 17-Jul-09 06:50:18

Have they reappeared?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now