Talk

Advanced search

Where can my cat be - any ideas?

(26 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 13-Jul-09 22:35:38

We have two 8-month-old boy cats (not really kittens any more, but not very sensible either). One of them is incredibly friendly and will follow anyone anywhere. He has stayed out overnight once or twice before but has come home next day.
Anyway, he has been missing for nine days and we are all really upset - particularly his brother who keeps wandering around the house calling for him.
We have put up posters, searched the local area thoroughly several times including sheds, garages etc, contacted the vets (he is chipped and neutered but doesn't wear a collar) called RSPCA, Cats Protection and local animal shelter and told EVERYONE we know.
What else can we do to try to find him? Any bright ideas anyone?

happylina Mon 13-Jul-09 22:50:42

Haven't got any bright ideas but I hope you find him soon, you seem to be doing all the right things. Little b***s aren't they when they're this age? One of my cats regularly goes awol- then just turns up, and another one is a bit of a 'six dinners sid' who lives half the time with someone else,

CarGirl Mon 13-Jul-09 22:54:30

I reckon someone has taken a shine to him and is now rehomed him.

No idea what you can do about that though apart from a house to house door knocking and leaflet dropping, emphasising that his brother is pining for him.

I think you need to widen your search.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 13-Jul-09 23:02:44

Yes, Cargirl, I think you are right about someone taking a shine to him. But unless they keep him shut indoors all the time (and he would HATE that) surely he would have found his way back by now.
I'm not sure how to widen my search - the whole village knows already. Would it be OTT to try for a spot in the local paper do you think?

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 13-Jul-09 23:14:46

I don't think it would be OTT to try the local paper. Some of them have lost pets sections and it is a potential story if you live in a quiet (from the point of news) area.

CarGirl Mon 13-Jul-09 23:15:05

This happened to our friend's cat it was someone who lived about 10 doors up but in the street that was at a T junction with them. I think it was nearly 2 weeks before a different neighbour told them where the cat was being held captive!

kitkatqueen Mon 13-Jul-09 23:36:10

Ladygp, There have been a spate of cats going missing in my area recently. It was on the radio this morning. The rspca and cats protection league is calling for anyone with a missing cat to contact them so that they can get an idea of the numbers involved. There have also apparantly been rumours of people seen in the early hours with cages. I really do hope that he has just got himself stuck in a shed or something daft but i think i would ring the local radio and rspca etc. Good Luck.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 13-Jul-09 23:44:55

Thanks Kitkatqueen. That's a bit worrying. Whereabouts in the country are you, if you don't mind me asking?
One of our neighbour's cats went missing a few days before ours, but I didn't think there might be a connection.

pickyvic Mon 13-Jul-09 23:54:33

awww ive nothing very constructive to add - i think your doing all you can but i really hope you find him. i love my moggies and id be devestated as would the kids and DH.

kitkatqueen Mon 13-Jul-09 23:57:20

I'm in norfolk. I think the exact area the cats were missing from was near Newton Flotman. I know it sounds awful, but I wouldn't rule it out even if you re not near me. I have heard of this type of thing happening before.

Definatley ring rspca, cat protection league and radio stations. Also leaflet drop lots of houses in your are. Put posters up near schools too before they break up - kids often remember a friendly cat.

My friends cat went missing for 12 days once and came home with a big gash in her leg she was an extremely long haired white cat and most of the time she had been missing it had been raining - her coat was almost immaculate when she came back - god knows where she had been. Don't give up hope yet...

burstingbug Tue 14-Jul-09 00:00:28

Where abouts roughly are you LGP?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 00:01:38

Thanks Kitkatqueen. I put up posters, but a leaflet drop is a good idea.
My heart goes every time I hear the catflap, but it is always the other one. (Although it is always a relief when he comes back safe and sound anyway.)

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 00:02:05

I'm in Devon, burstingbug.

burstingbug Tue 14-Jul-09 00:08:22

I'm in Dorset, so not close enough that they would be my way.
My 8mth girl Petal is looking out over Chesil Beach sending meows to him to go home to his Mummy. Mischief has gone on a wander tonight - he's 1 on Friday.
Hope he comes home soon xx

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 00:09:27

Well if a supercute ginger and white boy turns up on your doorstep, let me know.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 00:10:05

He is the one on the right in my profile pics.

burstingbug Tue 14-Jul-09 00:13:49

They are both adorable
You look like someone I know.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 00:16:51

That's not me, it's my DD! I wish I looked like her!

sb6699 Tue 14-Jul-09 00:20:50

Is the cat insured. Check your documents as they might pay for a newspaper ad - mine does.

Hope he comes back soon.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 12:49:26

Update: the neighbour's cat has turned up safe and sound. So no connection there. I met yet another person this morning who told me that my cat often pops in to her house. That makes about 10 in the immediate neighbourhood who have been enjoying his visits, and none of them have seen him this week. sad

thirtysomething Tue 14-Jul-09 13:01:03

phone all the vets in 15 mile radius and get his details logged. Leave message with local police station - we have found 2 stray cats and I was advised by CPL to log their details in as many places as possible. Also worth calling catteries as often they end up taking in strays (without cross-referencing...)as they often just have lots of cats of their own anyway - esp. the family-owned smaller ones...

Hope he comes home soon sad

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 16:04:58

Thanks for that tip sb. They do pay - up to £250 - so I can put an ad in the paper and print up some fliers.

30something, I have phoned our vet and also Petlog as he is microchipped who flag him up to all the vets. That's a good tip about catteries as small ones might not have a chip reader. I'll do that.

LadyGlencoraSnape Sat 18-Jul-09 01:36:03

He is home! Some friends were out walking their dog tonight and stumbled across him about a mile from our house. He looks fine, he was hungry but doesn't look like he's missed any meals IYSWIM.
I wonder where he has been.

MoominMymbleandMy Sat 18-Jul-09 01:50:33

Congratulations! What a relief for you! Hope he sticks closer to home in future.
<what happened to the Palliser bit, btw?>

LadyGlencoraSnape Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:49

Tis my Harry Potter name. I have seen the film now so I should change back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now