Talk

Advanced search

How can I get DD to like her hamster again???

(14 Posts)
MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:07:25

I put fresh food in her hamsters cage, turned around to put the lid back on and told DD not to put her hand in, as he's still getting used to being here, and what did she do, put her hand in fast and so he bit her finger as you can imagine screams and blood everywhere and now shes nursing her finger in a wet flannel and has a face like thunder and now says she doesn't want a hamster, doesn't want me to put him in his hamster play pen as now afraid he'll bite her toes.

What can I do, we only got him during the week, and I told her not to put her hands in.

SlartyBartFast Sun 12-Jul-09 18:10:05

is it a siberian hamster?
they are friendlier, less prone to bite imo.

can you get it out and handle it and let her stroke it?

MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:13:56

Yeah its one of those.

I did this yesterday and she loved it, i think she was too over excited that he was awake, although he's gone back to sleep now.

She has fallen asleep on the sofa now, but shes one of these that thinks about things for ages and I really don't want her to dislike the hamster.

nickschick Sun 12-Jul-09 18:14:31

I think the hamster might leave her a little present of some sweets to say sorry.

MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:15:53

ahh fab idea NC

she thinks about certain things for a very long time, and she has been so excited that she has a pet, this is her first.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Sun 12-Jul-09 18:35:11

why why why why do people buy hamsters for their children, they are the devil incarnate! When i worked as a vet nurse my heart used to sink whenever i saw a child sat in the waiting room with a hamster cage on their lap - i knew my fingers were for it!

Seriously, i really dont think hamsters make good pets. They don't get much of out of being a pet hamster either. As for those hideous hamster ball implements of torture?? They should be banned - cruel. They might look happy running around in said article, but they are not, they are trying to escape!!

Take the hamster back to the shop and buy her a rat.

MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:38:55

Sorry but I can't stand rats, they make my spine shiver and DD & DP are allergic to Rabbits and cats
He's been okay so far and really friendly, he has a play pen with a few toys in.

She seems okay now, Ringo has said sorry and shes said sorry for frightening him. so will see how long that lasts for.

junglist1 Sun 12-Jul-09 20:10:20

Ah, glad they've made up, how sweet!

MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 20:12:57

DD still has the flannel on her finger - I think she thinks its going to fall off lol and gone to bed like that.

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 20:14:31

dress him up as a sylvaian

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 20:15:24

like this

MuppetsMuggle Sun 12-Jul-09 20:21:36

can you even dress a hamster lol

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Jul-09 15:40:31

hopefully your dd will have learnt her lesson - listen to mummy/dont put finger in cage

hamsters need lots of handling when little or yes they will bite

ChristieF Tue 28-Jul-09 15:49:23

Hamsters do bite. I'm 48 and afraid of them. We've had three. One a large hamster and the ther two monsters were dwarf Russian. They are just too small to handle I think. Guinea pig? Much more placid. Also they are nocturnal and will drive you mad with the constant running in a wheel all night. Our fat hamster only ever came out when the DBs had gone to sleep after 9pm. The two tiny ones were both males and bought together and tried to kill each other. Had to buy another cage (£19!) Also I would never pick them up as they hissed at you and tried to bite. Both died recently. What a relief! Only one guinea pig cage and two dogs for me to look after now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now