Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Spoodle?

(24 Posts)
SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 17:37:41

I am curious. Very tempted to get one if a friend has puppies.

Greensleeves Sun 12-Jul-09 17:38:27

Yes, I have one on my foot

very painful [ouch]

bargainhuntingbetty Sun 12-Jul-09 17:42:34

Sounds lovely, very cute, is it a spaniel, poodle by any chance??

wheen I was on holiday last week I met a couple who had 2 jackawawas, loved the name but the animal itself was a bit......odd.

bargainhuntingbetty Sun 12-Jul-09 17:43:42

how cute

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 17:51:03

Yes. These would be springer spaniel mother with a poodle father. Expensive for a mongrel dog mind you

<<stamps on Greeny's foot>> There. That's squashed the Spoodle for you wink

IotasCat Sun 12-Jul-09 18:00:44

Won't the soupkittens have something to say about that?

Something involving spitting and swearing?

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 18:37:04

Pah! They'll get over it eventually. They fought like cat and, er, cat when Scout first arrived, now they curl up in their box together [aah]

Lindax Sun 12-Jul-09 18:57:27

work collegue has a cockapoo and it's a lovely rich chocolate brown colour and gorgeous, although she didnt think that when she got home one day around Xmas and he had destroyed all the Xmas gifts, including chewing through a brand new pair of £130 boots!

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 19:23:36

Eeek!

I need to find out what size poodle it is as I don't want a wee yappy rat dog

Of course, she may not let me have one or I might not be able to afford it. Or there may be no puppies.

choufleur Sun 12-Jul-09 19:25:06

labradoodles are nice, generally decent size dogs

prettyponies Sun 12-Jul-09 23:44:47

Please, step away from the silly expensive oodles and poos, they are cross breeds, there are lovely, free crossbreeds at the rescue centre...

*bangs head against brick wall*

Thunderduck Mon 13-Jul-09 00:31:34

I'll second what Prettyponies said.

nooka Mon 13-Jul-09 00:51:18

What is this ridiculous "oodling" going on in the dog world?

I suspect a Springer Spaniel-Poodle cross would be quite a nice mix. Although it depends on the nature of the parents of course. Springers can be nuts - very energetic and mischievous, and although trainable require a strong hand. As poodles are quite similar if I was looking for a cross I think I might be looking for a steadier breed to go in the mix.

We are looking for a Collie-Lab mix (a Lablie do you think or perhaps a Colbrador, sorry but I think this fashion is totally stupid).

SoupDragon Mon 13-Jul-09 09:14:36

Fashion? They're just cute looking dogs. Yes, I am well aware that they are cross-breeds.

Many rescue centres won't home a puppy if you have children under 5.

I suggest you go and get your head seen to once you've stopped banging it on that brick wall.

SwissCheese Mon 13-Jul-09 09:31:02

I have both a lab and springer doodles. They are lovely, well mannered, eay to train dogs. Plus they shed far less hair than my retriever (who is a walking dustbin and hair loss agent - I love him to bits too!!
It does depend on the parents and training too.
I was not a lover of large poodles ever until I met one and found how gentle and responsive it was.
I can only say from my experience they are lovely dogs.

maddiemostmerry Mon 13-Jul-09 09:42:23

I have an American Cocker Spaniel crossed with a poodle. He is not a small dog would be classed as medium sized he is great. I am allergic and he is non shedding.
Also easy to train, would also suggest a plain poodle as second Swiss that they are great dogs.
We have four cats and they all get along fine, cats are prety tough.
Good luck

nooka Tue 14-Jul-09 02:42:43

The fashion is not the crossing of breeds, that has been happening for as long as dogs escape and find the "dog next door", and is I think a good thing for dog health with the over breeding that has happened over the last few years. It is the stupid names, making out that these dogs are not crosses and finding some "cutie" name for the result. It's not as if it is that hard to say Springer-Poodle cross (or any other sort of cross for that matter). Spoodle just sounds ridiculous (and meaningless too).

Rescue centres aren't always ideal. I think for puppies meeting the parents and knowing their temperament is also important (and our local rescue centre has irritating rules for dog adoption too).

oliviasmama Tue 14-Jul-09 03:42:31

The rules are there for a reason, irritating for us they may be but necessary for the animals happy future. You can find the right pet for your family through rescue centres if you have a little patience and are prepared to put in a bit of hard work but SD is saying she would potentially like this particular breed.

I have had both my most recent dogs from the rescue centre, they have both been fantastic with my little girl but that's because we put a lot of work into getting the right dogs and knowing their back ground. That said, I most definately will have a Norfolk Terrier in the next few years which I will get from a breeder.

Everyone's different, my opinion is that there are a lot of wonderful dogs waiting to be re homed in the rescue centres but I also think this "Spoodle" hmm is very lovely looking.

oliviasmama Tue 14-Jul-09 03:45:01

.....Sorry, after droning on a bit, my answer is, I don't have one but think they're rather lovely looking!

nooka Tue 14-Jul-09 06:17:36

Ah, the irritating rule from our centre is that they won't assess you as suitable until you pick a dog, which means that they have dogs reserved but not homed because of unsuitability, and you cannot be pre-vetted, so if a dog comes up that you like you can't get things moving at any speed (and you might as it were be gazumped). I think this is a daft way to do things, especially as they let us come and pick up our cats with no vetting at all (they have lots and lots of cats and very few dogs). We wouldn't pick a dog without the children being involved and they would be incredibly upset to then lose a dog they would think of as theirs.

So we are going to get our puppy from a family through local adverts, and make sure we meet both parents.

oliviasmama Tue 14-Jul-09 06:48:54

Our rescue centre is the same, I suppose as they are very limited in time and resource and have had to endure their share of time wasters. I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you their expectations of the standards and requirements of the dogs new home and lets face it, you'll have a good idea of whether or not you'll pass.

Good luck with your puppy though. smile

spugs Tue 14-Jul-09 11:57:47

Very cute, like poodle crosses even though you get shouted at for saying that wink. I regularly look at rescues on line and ive seen very few poodle crosses come up so maybe theres less of them needing homes? I have a bichon x schnauzer whos mix name is a chonzer!!!! When asked I just say what the mix is.

Be careful with health though as lots of mix breeders dont do health checks and I know that poodles can have a few health problems.

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 15-Jul-09 09:27:12

nooka, I am a homechecker - it is done like this for a reason. Gazumping does not occur as there is a 1st reserve, 2nd reserve system. I can generally do a visit within 48 hours.

I cannot give a person the OK without knowing what dog they will be getting - size, age, ability, tolerance etc. I could ok you for an older dog and when you went to choose you fall for a puppy that I haven't ok'd you for...it is to protect both the dogs and propective owners.

I agree wholeheartedly with prettyponies, I shudder when I see them advertised. In my local rag this week £900 for a goldendoodle <thud> that is way more than I have paid for a pedigree dog (5 generations KC pedigree) and actually quite an obscene amount of money.

nooka Thu 16-Jul-09 04:41:31

I hadn't thought of that I must admit. Although we were very clear that we were looking for a medium sized puppy. I guess I was thinking of the cat check we had, which was really just home safety and general OKness (and the centre which gave us our current cats let us walk in off the street as it were and leave with two cats and no checks at all). From what I understand they do further checks of the suitability of owners to individual dogs once you have said you are interested too. Which I think is absolutely right. I would just have liked to have the home check out of the way before thinking about any particular dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now