Talk

Advanced search

Is my dog having a false pregnancy or has she gone mad!!!

(6 Posts)
Lucky13 Thu 09-Jul-09 09:28:54

Since my dog finished her season around 9 weeks ago, we have noticed a change in her behaviour.
This has got to the point now where she is obsessed with her bed and doesn't want anyone near it esp my DD.

If she thinks anyone is going to go near, she runs like a flash to intercept them. She has growled once at my DD and yesterday looked like she would growl at me i stepped closer.

This is completely out of character and in 5 years she has never shown any sort of aggression to us no matter what.

I was wondering if it maybe a false pregnancy - although i can't see many physical symptoms.

Any ideas?

Lucky13 Thu 09-Jul-09 10:07:13

I also forgot to say that she is going to the vet tomorrow - but just wondered if anyone had any better ideas before i mention it to the vet.

bella21 Thu 09-Jul-09 10:16:31

Sounds like a phantom pregnancy - she should return to normal once it has passed and your vet may suggest medication to help. Keep DD away for the time being - your dog thinks she is guarding her pups and may act totally out of character.

HTH

spugs Thu 09-Jul-09 17:26:21

If your not going to breed form her then see about getting her spayed. Its better for them health wise.

My aunties dog carried its toys around and thought of them as her pups when she was having a phantom pregnancy, they had her spayed which stopped her having them after every season.

lukeysmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 21:44:39

sounds like a phantom my mums little jack russell has had a few they are going to breed with her on her next season then get her spayed

Lucky13 Fri 10-Jul-09 23:17:36

She was supposed to be spayed today, but phantom pregnancy was confirmed - poor thing. At least i don't have to worry about her behaviour now i know the reason

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now