Talk

Advanced search

My Beagle dog is really getting on my nerves now

(24 Posts)
lukeysmummy Mon 06-Jul-09 19:27:01

he is digging up all the garden especially when its wet
he is trying to jump at the sofa all the time and we have never let him get on the sofa and just generally being a total pain in the arse jumping at everyone and thinking he is in charge of the garden and the kids

hes 1 in august

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 06-Jul-09 19:28:14

He's a baby.

He is having fun.

He needs discipline like humans.

grin

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 19:30:11

He's a dog, doing what dogs do.

How much exercise and mental stimulation does he get each day? Beagles are VERY destructive when they're bored.

doggiesayswoof Mon 06-Jul-09 19:33:14

Dog teenager = worse than little puppy, so I've heard

TBH I am dreading this stage with my pup.

bamboobutton Mon 06-Jul-09 19:35:45

beagles are awful family dogs imo.

my sister has one and it is horrible, he is really possesive and snarls and raises his hackles at you if you go near him when he has taken something, he nearly bit my face once. he is about 3.

female beagles i have met seem really placid, but neutering made no difference to my sisters dog.

get him to puppy classes asap or it will get worse.

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 19:42:04

TBH, beagles just aren't cut out to be family pets, imo. They're working dogs and need masses and masses stimulation to keep them sane.

I've got an 11mo lab who is very placid and calm but if she doesn't get a good hour's walk off lead and a couple of 15-20 min training sessions every single day then she starts to get quite 'naughty' because she's finding ways to amuse herself.

JRocks Mon 06-Jul-09 19:50:45

In my experience, beagles are a bit nutterish and just need to run until they feel the need to stop. My friend has one now, but she doesn't have a family so no insight there, sorry. He's quite a soppy beagle though.

lukeysmummy Mon 06-Jul-09 19:57:31

tbh hi is really good with the kids he gets plenty of excercise but insists on digging especially when wet

he has just started with tis jumping up but if he is entering teenage years i spose thats the answer i certainly wouldnt say they are not suitable for families or kids

ABetaDad Mon 06-Jul-09 20:12:39

I agree with Olihan - beagles are really pack dogs that were designed to run for hours and hours over open country. Same wih any working dog - they have powerful brains, even more powerful noses and lots of energy. Not a good family pet - we had one. It just barked non stop.

releasethehounds Mon 06-Jul-09 20:47:47

We've got the same problem re: digging with our border collie pup (now 4 months old). She also pulls really hard on her lead when walking to the point where she almost chokes herself. She gets lots of attention as DH works from home, I work part-time and we have 2 DDs.

We've had 2 border collies before which were wonderful family pets (obviously you need to be prepared to give them plenty of exercise) but this new addition is proving challenging!

DH and I love her dearly but we're becoming exasperated with her behaviour. There have been improvements over the last few weeks but I'm dreading this 'teenage' phase you mention - it's bad enough with the kids!

Sorry I'm not much help but if anything works I'll let you know.

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 20:51:34

The thing with them is, they are designed and bred to work and spend masses of time running with other dogs. If that natural instinct isn't fulfilled then they are going to find other ways of expending their energy. Which in your case is digging and jumping up.

He probably ought to have 2 or 3 good long (hr+) walks everyday, off lead so he can use his tracking instincts and brain. That way he will be physically and mentally tired. How about looking up some mental agilty things for him to do out in the garden so he has a distraction from just digging?

I've got 3 young dcs and I know how hard it is to fit in the dog's requirements around everything else that goes on in life. However, if you want him to be a good family pet without too many bad habits then he is going to need an awful lot of input from you.

I speak from semi-experience as my db has a beagle and it has utterly destroyed their house through boredom. As in, chewed through kitchen cupboards, ripped apart sofas, chewed their dining table and every chair, ripped up the carpets, scratched their wooden floors beyond repair, not to mention the £500 vet's bill after it ate a tube of tomato puree, metal tube and all!

They also get worse before they get better once they hit puberty.

throckenholt Mon 06-Jul-09 21:05:54

use a halti for the pulling.

For the digging shake rattle (stones in a bottle) every time you see him doing it.

Sofa - be strict about it - he will get the idea in the end.

Try clicker training - click and treat the good behaviour.

Try giving him some searching games in the evening after the kids in bed - hide some tiny treats while he is out of the room and then let him find them.

That should give him some mental stimulation.

releasethehounds Mon 06-Jul-09 21:09:57

Sorry for my ignorance throckenholt - but what's a halti? Is it those things I've seen on some dogs which look a bit like a horse's bridle?

glenthorpe Mon 06-Jul-09 21:10:51

Working dogs are exactly that,and they do need something to do.We have collies and they need entertainment and mental stimulation,I guess lke kids do. This type of dog is usually v intelligent and (brng on the flak!!!) are a usually a completely different kettle of fish to,lets say labradors.This in itself is a bit of an enigma as they are also working dogs. I not sure why this is. However I would say, as a puppy this type of dog can be exhausting,but also very good value...always up for it,chasing running and are also very switched on and entertaining.Personally I love the type of dog that will roar out to the car with me,wants to interact,can open doors to go out into the garden and is keeping an eye on me and my activities...
I think that your dog will improve with age and training but dont expect it to come over night,again a bit like children.
ps I do like labs and retrivers a lot but give me a dog that wants to be with you,plays games and generally will insist on being a very demanding bright spark!

glenthorpe Mon 06-Jul-09 21:11:11

Working dogs are exactly that,and they do need something to do.We have collies and they need entertainment and mental stimulation,I guess lke kids do. This type of dog is usually v intelligent and (brng on the flak!!!) are a usually a completely different kettle of fish to,lets say labradors.This in itself is a bit of an enigma as they are also working dogs. I not sure why this is. However I would say, as a puppy this type of dog can be exhausting,but also very good value...always up for it,chasing running and are also very switched on and entertaining.Personally I love the type of dog that will roar out to the car with me,wants to interact,can open doors to go out into the garden and is keeping an eye on me and my activities...
I think that your dog will improve with age and training but dont expect it to come over night,again a bit like children.
ps I do like labs and retrievers a lot but give me a dog that wants to be with you,plays games and generally will insist on being a very demanding bright spark!

throckenholt Mon 06-Jul-09 21:12:43

halti

releasethehounds Mon 06-Jul-09 21:14:01

Oh they're demanding alright! Ours has just sneaked past me (noticed me MNetting) and dashed into the DC's bedroom. Now I'll have to fish her out from under the beds! Oh joy ...

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 21:26:45

glen, are you saying labs are a bit fick, like? wink.

My gps' lab used to be able to open the back door and could also get into all the kitchen cupboards and the fridge. She used to lift out china plates, take the cling off the food and eat every last morsel. So don't diss the labs, they're clever when they want to be in their own way grin.

glenthorpe Mon 06-Jul-09 21:40:42

Hi Olihan
I thijnk you have hit the nail on the head!!
Its because at heart I am a collie man but I wont say that labs havent got thir excellent points,temperamentally they are fantastic with children and when it comes to hoovering up under the table,they are beyond compare!!

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 22:07:38

grin, I only got a lab so I didn't have to spend half my day on my knees under the kitchen table.

glenthorpe Mon 06-Jul-09 23:38:43

envy
Maybe we'll get some labs then! But the collies will def drive them mad!

throckenholt Tue 07-Jul-09 11:25:01

labs are clever when it comes to food !!!

Collies are clever about anything that catches their attention - but can also be complete nutters - my 1 year old one turns in rapid circles when anything exciting goes past the hedge - he is renowned in the area - everyone thinks he is mad

imbored Fri 10-Jul-09 15:09:14

my mom is lookin for a beagle if you want to rehome her grin. i have a collie and shes a bit dizzy runs round in circles million miles an hour then walks off in a straight linehmm

lukeysmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 21:42:43

Hi it was a he beagle no sorry not looking to re home him hubby loves him to pieces and it took us ages to find one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now