Talk

Advanced search

one of my guinea pigs has gone awol in the garden (sob)

(14 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Sun 05-Jul-09 23:35:01

It's a walled garden (at least 6 foot high all round)

Didn't think it was possible for them to escape - they certainly have never gone missing before - they usually come when I call them and respond to me shaking the hay bag ...

We've been searching for the past four hours ... gulp

we always bring them in at night and we can only find one ... sniff

cannot face telling dd in the morning as hers is the one that has gone missing and she's a real character ......

fortyplus Sun 05-Jul-09 23:36:25

I lost my kitten the other night and dh found him shut in the garage - he must have shot past me when I did the recycling.

Hope you find gp smile

cornsilk Sun 05-Jul-09 23:41:19

Do you have a shed or something that he could have hidden under?

Countingthegreyhairs Sun 05-Jul-09 23:44:08

thanks for telling me that fortyplus - I'm glad you found your kitten safe and sound and that it all ended well ...

cornsilk - no we don't - but there is an old tree trunk at the bottom of the garden which is covered in ivy and I am hoping she has burrowed down in there and will come out in the morning ...

... here's hoping ...

it's just the complete silence that is so unusal and worrying

cornsilk Sun 05-Jul-09 23:49:06

Our rabbit has stayed out overnight in the garden 3 times! Each time he turned up the next day looking grubby.

fortyplus Sun 05-Jul-09 23:49:21

Oh... and when I lived at home with my parents we once found a tortoise in the garden that had walked a mile and a half and been missing for 4 days! So don't despair - hipefully gp is tucked up somewhere safe and sound and will be none the worse for his/her adventure. smile

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 06-Jul-09 11:29:14

Ohh, thank you cornsilk and fortyplus - yr reassuring words were much appreciated last night

... and this morning I have good news!

dh found her safe and sound at 7.00 am this morning (sorry didn't post before - working)
and she's looking fine, eating and drinking normally etc ....

He had to cut down about three sacks worth of ivy to get to her though ....and she didn't make a sound ... perhaps she had been spooked by a cat or a heavy rain shower ...

So that was a lucky escape - thought she was a goner there for a moment! Going to be more vigilant in future .... she's obviously a bit of a thrill-seeker grin

Seems silly making such a fuss over a gp but they all have such distinct characters and this one, in particular, is very much part of the family ....

Thanks again!

guvk Mon 06-Jul-09 11:55:24

hooray!!!

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 06-Jul-09 12:24:40

thanks guvK!

cornsilk Mon 06-Jul-09 19:54:08

Glad you found her!

fortyplus Tue 07-Jul-09 01:06:39

Excellent! So pleased you found her smile

sandcastles Tue 07-Jul-09 01:46:45

If it happens again get a plastic bag & scrunch it around in your hands. I do this when mine go awol...they think it is food time & usually come scuttling out from their hidiing places, squeaking as they run!

Fennel Wed 08-Jul-09 15:01:13

that's one thing I like about guinea pigs, they want to come home. Ours escape into the garden fairly regularly but if you leave a hutch open at each end of the gardent they scurry back in. These days our guinea pigs are almost free range in the garden, it's sweet, and we never need to mow the lawn.

ChristieF Tue 28-Jul-09 15:55:04

Glad you found her. Very lucky to have been out overnight with cats about. We have two lovely plump ones. Used to be out in hutch (not now-too many mice attracted to food. I'd let our two dogs into garden for wee not knowing that one gp had escaped. They seem to have chased her round for twenty minutes before I realised. Nearly had a heart attack. One dog is a Jack Russell so I would expect her to kill a rodent. Told off too many times for going near them I suppose. GP looked ragged and as if about to die and lay down gasping. Recovered fairly soon. They are known to have weak hearts. It's cats who will kill them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now