Talk

Advanced search

Kitten playing too rough

(5 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 03-Jul-09 11:11:16

our 10 week old kitten has taken to playing really roughly with us all, claws out and very scratchy but obviously still playing. I think it's because she often plays with our older cat and of course they play rough. Don't really know how to discourage her, we are spending time trying to amuse her but at times I have to shut her out the room as she is hurting my dd's and myself with her super sharp claws. Any ideas?

10stonedog Fri 03-Jul-09 11:12:12

<licks lips>

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 03-Jul-09 11:13:05

Aw! that's mean... actually as she scratching my fingers as I type this.. maybe not so mean. grin

DollyPardonme Fri 03-Jul-09 11:13:57

scratching post to get those claws blunt

lots of cat toys to mangle

elastoplast for you and your dds

she'll grow out of it, ours have stopped this (6 months now) but they can't resist wiggling toes (more elastoplast)

AMumInScotland Fri 03-Jul-09 12:02:49

You could try yelping like a scratched cat when she does it... that sometimes gives them the message that it hurts you just like it would hurt another cat. They don't really understand human noises as well!

Otherwise, play with her with a good thick oven-glove on, so you have some protection from the claws.

I lived in a house with two kittens/cats for a while. The first method worked on one of them, but the other just didn't seem to get the message, so we used the oven glove on him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now