Talk

Advanced search

Any dog experts or vets on line? What's wrong with my Spaniel?

(16 Posts)
twoluvlykids Wed 01-Jul-09 21:36:12

He's normally leaping about - now he's obviously in pain, hiding under the table in the garden, his nose is dry, he looks so sad!

Tail between legs, lowered body, close to the ground - I keep telling my family there's nothing wrong with his legs/tail, it's what dogs do when they're in pain, to make themselves look small.

Any clues?

brimfull Wed 01-Jul-09 21:37:24

does his tummy feel bloated?

Pippinella Wed 01-Jul-09 21:38:31

Has something spooked him/frightened him - its exactly what my spaniel does when he sees the hoover!

Dry nose, well that could be because of the hot weather is he drinking plenty?

ingles2 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:40:13

my spaniel usually cowers when she's eaten something she shouldn't... any chance he's broken into a bin, snaffled something he shouldn't?
How long ha been like this? Is his nose usually dry? (mine spaniels is)

ingles2 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:40:48

please excuse my many typos

twoluvlykids Wed 01-Jul-09 21:41:35

no bloating. I've felt him all over, all bones and joints feel fine.drunk plenty today

He's had an exciting day, had a trim at the groomers, he was literally leaping about as usual, he went outside on his own - which he rarely does, being addicted to people, came back looking sorry for himself.

If he's eaten stinging nettles, could he be miserable?

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 01-Jul-09 21:49:49

Heatstroke?

Eaten a bee (stung inside)?

Any fireworks going off?

So many possibilities with a spaniel.

twoluvlykids Wed 01-Jul-09 21:52:04

I'm thinking sting, as he's still hiding and now dribbling from both sides of his mouth.

Still refusing to come in, although he has been in and I sat on the floor with his head on my leg for ages.

Silly dog. I'd better go and see him, DH is looking for ice cubes for him hmm

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 01-Jul-09 22:05:30

You can give him Benadryl
The dosage for dogs is 1-2 mg for every pound (according to the internet)

if it is a bee sting can you see the sting in his mouth? If you can you should try to pull it out.

twoluvlykids Wed 01-Jul-09 22:06:05

poor thing, he's in his box in the kitchen, occasionally groaning.

I suggested DH sleeps down here with him so I get the bed to myself to make sure he's ok.

I'm sure he'll be back to normal (the dog) in the morning. Thanks gals

twoluvlykids Wed 01-Jul-09 22:08:33

I don't have any Benadryl. I have given hiim half a Nurofen before, but earlier he wouldn't eat his evening carrot, so I'm not sure how I could disguise a pill.

Think I'll just leave him lots of water and see how he goes.

He's been in lots of scrapes in his life so far!

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 01-Jul-09 22:14:48

I have a spaniel too. My last spaniel used to eat bees regularly silly thing.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Thu 02-Jul-09 08:47:03

How is he this morning?

unavailable Thu 02-Jul-09 09:04:17

I know I have come to this a bit late but dont give him nurophen or any human painkiller - it can be very dangerous for dogs.

Hope is is better this morning.

pinkpetunia Thu 02-Jul-09 10:42:38

Just wanted to check I have read this right - your dog was cowering under the table, you said he's obviously in pain, you give him human painkillers which could kill him, you're taking advice from other lay people about giving him another drug...

ever thought of phoning your vet?

twoluvlykids Thu 02-Jul-09 18:10:22

Yes, well, I didn't give him anything, he'd had Nurofen on a previous occasion.

He was a bit poorly this morning, and I came home at lunchtime, he hadn't moved, or drank any water, so I took him to the vet.

He's got a bad back! Silly dog. Now dosed him up with prescription drugs from the vet (£42 quid, wonderful, just what I don't need), and he's eaten, drank his water, gone for a walk, & pissed and crapped all the way.

Now he's sleeping like a baby!

It's a dog's life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now