Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit owners - please advise me on the best type of hutch for large rabbit

(9 Posts)
listenglisten Tue 30-Jun-09 12:21:58

We have adopted a male Rex rabbit who is currently living in a large playhouse and run while we sort out a hutch for him.

What I would like to know is what would be the best type of hutch for him?

I know it needs to be large but is it best to get a two-storey hutch with an integral bottom 'run' with floor or one where the run is part of the hutch but sits straight on the grass?

Alternatively, is it better to have a stand alone hutch and a separate run to move around the grass?

Cadelaide Tue 30-Jun-09 14:00:20

I would have a huge separate run that can be moved about. IME rabbits are easily bored.

listenglisten Tue 30-Jun-09 18:52:47

bump

moshie Tue 30-Jun-09 18:56:21

found this website mentioned on another thread, lots of info on hutches there.

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 30-Jun-09 18:58:37

Get the biggest one you can possibly find. In my opinion most hutches sold in pet stores aren't big enough for small rabbits, let alone a big chap.

We built ours a nice big run and then put a hutch inside which stood open to give them the option of hiding away if they wanted to.

Rabbits need quite a lot of exercise. They need height too, as well as area, as they like to leap and twist (particularly at dawn and dusk).

listenglisten Thu 02-Jul-09 12:40:31

Sorry, only just got back to this.

So, does you rabbit have the option of going out into run day and night HR?

Thanks for the advice so far......

cheesesarnie Thu 02-Jul-09 12:43:15

we have very large indoor hutch for our lionheaded rabbit(shes huge but its mostly fluff!)and she likes to run around the house too.dh made a run for the garden

listenglisten Thu 02-Jul-09 12:58:42

I'd love to have him in the house and he uses a litter tray but dh is very allergic.

cheesesarnie Thu 02-Jul-09 13:30:05

put dh in shedgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now