Talk

Advanced search

Kennel Cough

(5 Posts)
laraeo Sat 27-Jun-09 08:40:54

My family just got back from a long holiday and picked our dog up from the kennel. He seemed fine - in fact we were really happy that he was his normal neurotic self instead of crazy neurotic dog (he usually loses weight but he didn't this time - we think he gained some grin). He had all his vaccinations prior to boarding including bordatella ?sp (they're always kept up to date) and is due for annual boosters in about 2 weeks.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure he's got kennel cough. He's got the "honk" sort of cough that comes and goes - it's actually not as bad today as it was yesterday. He's fine otherwise - eating/scurrying around/etc.

Now I've got a couple of questions that you might be able to help with. 1) Can kennel cough be transmitted to people? DS is 16 months and he and the dog share a special relationship which usually involves the dog licking food off the boy's face. 2) The dog is scheduled for his boosters next week and is due to be boarded again the week after. Should I go ahead with those plans?

I'll give the vet a call on Monday but thought I'd post here in the meantime.

hercules1 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:12:28

No, people cant get it. Please take him to the vets though as a cough can be a sign of lung worm which can be fatal.

frostyfingers Mon 29-Jun-09 08:39:46

Please don't let your dog lick the food off your child's face - you do know where the dog's tongue has been don't you?!

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 29-Jun-09 09:00:01

Phone the vets, they may ask you to wait outside before your appointment as kennel cough is highly contagious. I would take advice from the vet also about boarding but if I ran one ai would be reluctant to ake a dog in who recently had kennel cough

laraeo Mon 29-Jun-09 18:08:59

The dog is now fine. No coughing for about a day & a half so I didn't phone the vets. I guess I will tomorrow.

Believe me, I hate it when the dog licks too but it is a losing battle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now