Talk

Advanced search

Goldendoodle/Labradoodle

(9 Posts)
Eve4Walle Wed 24-Jun-09 19:43:58

Where can I get one from?

Has anyone else got one and if so, give me all the stuff I need to know.

I must admit, as a child we had a goldendoodle who was just a hppy accident between a Retriever and a standard poodle. He was a fab dog and now I have kids of my own, I'd like another dog.

1MitchellMum Fri 26-Jun-09 15:19:55

Don't assume because your childhood dog was great that a new one will be - they're all different - personalities vary even within dogs of the same breed. But good luck, whatever you decide to get!

wildfig Fri 26-Jun-09 23:09:31

Also, don't fall for the 'it won't shed because of the doodle part' malarky. All the labradoodles I've met shed exactly like a Lab/Golden. Have you tried your local rescue shelter? Quite a few turn up there in need of a loving new owner! Sadly, doodle mixes aren't always bred by the most scrupulous of breeders, because of the 'fashion' aspect, so if you get a puppy make sure both the parents have been hip scored and health tested.

CountryGirl2007 Sat 27-Jun-09 02:02:45

You're better off adopting a dog from a rescue rather than supporting an idiotic breeder who is only breeding "designer" mix breed dogs. check out any pound/rescue and you'll be sure to find labs and goldens and maybe even lab or golden x poodles.

spugs Mon 29-Jun-09 15:40:17

Ive seen some lovely doodles, good looking, very intelligent, dont shed and ive also met some who are strange looking, shed like a lab and have a bad case of the doodle brain. So you can end up with any variety of mix from the two breeds. They have a very strong following and there is a forum devoted to them so it might be better going there to get some info.

If you do decide to get one then go to one which is reputable (there are some) these are the ones that health test the parents and care more about where the pup is going then how much cash they can make.

Have you ever thought about missing out the lab part and just getting a standard poodle? Ive met a few of these recently and they are lovely dogs.

cissycharlton Mon 29-Jun-09 15:44:35

My doodle doesn't shed and is intelligent, calm and great with children. And she's only 5 and a half months old.

I take exception to the poster who said doodle breeders are idiots. Many of them are lab breeders who are meeting a demand.

I also agree with the person who recommended poodles. they are superb dogs. Try Many Tears rescue centre who sadly have lots of dogs looking for loving homes.

spugs Wed 01-Jul-09 16:29:43

they dont seem to get many poodles at many tears, lots of bichons, schnauzers etc. Theres quite a few on there i would love to adopt at the minute

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:46:09

go to the dogs home first, our dogs are so amazing and from a home

and then you know your're not adding to a breeder making more dogs in a saturated market. There are lots of dogs being taken in to homes because of the credit crunch.

labradoddles are lovely but the one I know is huge and a bit over enthusatic with little ones.

prettyponies Fri 03-Jul-09 02:40:36

pmsl at doodles and poos of all descriptions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now