Talk

Advanced search

Is my goldfish dying?

(19 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 14:28:27

He must be 5 by now and for the last couple of days I have noticed he has his bottom end in the air with his head looking down, sort of like 5 past 7 on a clock. He is doing it at the top of the tank.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 17:46:48

He is still in the same place. [worried]

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 24-Jun-09 18:11:31

Probably.

Sometimes they look as if they are definetly on their way out and then are fine a few days later, but sounds like hes been like that for a while?

drowninginclutter Wed 24-Jun-09 18:16:18

Mine did that for several months, then swam upside down for a long time. It eventually died about a year later and sank to the bottom hmm. Goldfish are strange creatures.

I think it's a sign of swim bladder problems which can be fatal but might not be.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 18:17:28

At least a couple of days.

A while ago I posted on here about a goldfish that looked like he was bent in half so we disposed of him and then someone posted he wasn't dead but had some disease. Will keep an eye but not sure vets can go a lot for goldfish.

claricebeansmum Wed 24-Jun-09 18:18:18

Could be near the end.

You can either treat is swim bladder problems with some magic stuff from fish shop

or you can help him on his way...

drowninginclutter Wed 24-Jun-09 18:20:05

You can get stuff from pet shops though. They have stuff for swim bladder problems, gill rot and various other things.

I didn't find it helped Peter (my ailing fish) but they must do something...

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 18:21:58

And now he is swimming normally

and then tipping again

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 18:23:10

I could go to the pet shop tomorrow with DS2, gets us out, will see what they have and try not to come home with anything else.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-09 19:45:29

sounds like swim bladder

if in early stages you can treat the water, but if not sad then you will need to help the fish twat him to die quickly

or the other fish will reliese he is weak and will start to fight/attack him sad

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 24-Jun-09 19:54:34

he keeps swimming normally then bending again sad

he is really big and is the fish we have had the longest.

the other fish haven't grown as big because of him apparently.

how long do I give him?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-09 20:01:22

treat the water for swim bladder,if not got better 3days then .......... sad

drowninginclutter Wed 24-Jun-09 21:01:32

Apparently you can have surgery for it, if you have several thousand pounds to spare and can get your fish airlifted to America smile

We tried the frozen pea method (as we were a bit poor for surgery), no success here but it might be worth a go.

SazzlesA Wed 24-Jun-09 21:06:42

Message withdrawn

sullysmum Wed 24-Jun-09 21:42:33

I agree with the peas,i microwave for just a few seconds in water,then take the outer skin off and chop up then put in tank.Swim bladder is sort of constipation/gas so usually they do a lovely big poo and are alright again.....good luck!

ravenAK Wed 24-Jun-09 21:44:25

Peas? Eh?

<mental note to pass on to keen aquarist dh>

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-09 09:04:27

peas [skock]

will mention to dh this solution

though still think easier to go to local pet shop and buy swim ballder treatment

sweetnitanitro Thu 25-Jun-09 10:33:14

Oh yeah, peas are great for sorting out constipation in fish grin if that doesn't work then it could either be bacterial in which case your fish will need antibiotics (you'll have to go to a vet for this) or if you have a fancy goldfish it could be genetic, they are inbred to buggery and because of their shape their organs are all squished up.

'Swim bladder' is a symptom rather than a disease on its own so treatments labelled as swim bladder don't tend to work. Does the fish have any other symptoms? Do you have recent water test results?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 25-Jun-09 10:42:27

He looks normal today. [hmm

All the other fish are fine.

DH thinks it serves him right as he bullies the other fish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now