Talk

Advanced search

New puppy and cleaning up poo - help please!

(18 Posts)
Buda Tue 23-Jun-09 17:24:41

We got a new lab puppy on Saturday. She is very good at weeing and pooing outside but obv now the grass had various poo deposits. It has been raining for 3 days almost too so it's all soggy. YUCK!

DH suggesting leaving it till Saturday morning and clearing it all up then but that is not fair too footie mad DS. And I really don't want to know that there is poo all over my garden.

We are planning on training her to poo in one area and will start that today.

In the meantime - how the hell do you clear the poo off the grass? DH wondering about just hosing it but it will still be there surely? Just watered down?

Grass is quite long too which doesn't help! Will be getting it cut short at weekend!

Slambang Tue 23-Jun-09 17:41:18

It's not rocket science!

Option a) get a trowel dig a hole, scoop it up and bury it/ flush it/ bin it

Option b) Get a carrier bag, put hand in bag, pick up poo with hand (covered by bag) and turn bag back, tie up and throw away.

Option c) Hose it hmm where to?

spugs Tue 23-Jun-09 20:39:41

Pick it up as soon as she does it (within reason) makes it much easier. Im lucky in that i only have a yard, very easy to hose down and bleach grin

LittleB Tue 23-Jun-09 21:48:07

Keep your grass short and pick up at least twice a day, or as soon as she does it, easier when they are a puppy as you're probably out there with her rewarding her for doing it outside!

Buda Wed 24-Jun-09 06:11:22

I explained to DH that it was not rocket science slambang. He did the bag option - much to the rueful amusement of our Georgian next door neighbour who is about to get a beagle pup!

Today's job is to start training her to use one spot in the garden for poos.

I need a pooper-scooper thingie. Haven't seen one here in Budapest though - which makes sense when you see the amount of dog poos on the streets. Hungarians love to keep dogs even in small apartments and they take them out for walks and leave the crap everywhere.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-09 12:36:35

we have a small pooper scooper (tho it has gone missing)

who on earth would want to steal a platic item covered in shit? hmm

so at the moment using a normal garden spade, put in bag and throw in bin

i am not meant to be on poo duty, so db informed me when they brought monster puppy, that he would ALWAYS do it

but obv if puppy poos 8-6 i HAVE to clear it up or my baby or other 2 will crawl/fall over/tread in it, so tbh i dont have a choice, which tbh does piss me off a bit, that i have to do a poo hunt before allowing 3 children in the garden

doggiesayswoof Thu 25-Jun-09 15:52:46

With DC running/crawling about the garden we always clean it up as soon as pup produces it. Just the bag option, no spade etc, cos then would you not have to be cleaning the spade all the time? <lazy>

My wheelie bin stinks though sad

GrimmaTheNome Thu 25-Jun-09 15:59:10

Get pup onto a good dry food when you can. She will then hopefully produce non-squidgy lower odour poo which can easily be picked up without leaving visible residue on grass (just with a plastic bag, no need for any scooper or spade).

Mutt Thu 25-Jun-09 16:02:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mutt Thu 25-Jun-09 16:02:47

GrimmaTheNome Thu 25-Jun-09 16:09:33

Good point Mutt - I ought to be able to use kitchen roll and flush my dachsies neat little pellets. Thats probably the greenest option too, come to think.

Buda Thu 25-Jun-09 16:13:30

Thanks for all suggestions. She is on dry food but we put some water on it to soften it. Not sure why - DH started doing it!

Mutt - when it comes to doggy poo I AM a wimp and not afraid to admit it! It was my biggest concern about getting a dog as I knew I would not deal well with the yucky issues. So I will be investing in a pooper scooper - wimpy or not.

Mutt Thu 25-Jun-09 16:30:30

Mutt Thu 25-Jun-09 16:32:16

Buda Thu 25-Jun-09 16:36:37

That's ok Mutt. I am a happy wimp! Well I am not really as I am really struggling with the poo thing! Stupid really. I hate the whole thing of there being poo all over the garden. Our grass is too long too which doesn't help. The lawn is huge so we have a gardener (works for the landlord) to do it - he comes tomorrow. Will get him to cut grass shorter than he has been which should help.

I know this would be an issue for me but not how much. I always said it would be DH's job to clean up but of course in real life it is more likely to be down to me as he is at work all day. I may invest in some disposable gloves as well as the bags!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-09 17:17:38

im not paid enough to go round picking up doggy poo via hand grin

poopper scooper all the way

if i couldfind it

and yes sooooooooooooo much easier when frozen

everlong Thu 25-Jun-09 20:23:34

Pick it up after every poo - easy.

ChristieF Tue 28-Jul-09 16:06:05

You need to pick up poo in garden every day. Then into black bin in liner. You don't want the dog to walk into old poo and then walk it around the house do you. Use two shovels. One to scrape poo onto the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now