Talk

Advanced search

think hammys nearing his time to hamster heaven

(13 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Jun-09 13:52:37

he is coming up to 2 (sept) and have noticed last few days he is a lot slower and seems a bit wobbly on legssad

eats well, and drinks well, and comes out of nest to poo smile

so will see what happens

had dh in tears last night as hammy collasped on sofa, then he perked up (hammy) though so did dh grin

he still comes out and is sociable and once been out for a while on sofa, gets quite speedy (maybe old age/arthritis setting in) so will wait and see

hopefully he will just pass away in his sleep peacefully

Picante Mon 22-Jun-09 13:55:24

Yes mine is on his last legs too. Has been for a while though and is still eating. What funeral plans do you have?!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 22-Jun-09 14:28:01

How is he today?

Mine have all gone in their sleep except for one that had to be put down. sad

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Jun-09 14:37:50

oh no picant sad

how old?

fbgib is awful isnt it sad

well hes still breathing

thats the first thing dh and i did this morning, even before putting the kettle on!!!!

check on Jimmy

funeral plans .....

<blonde sniffs>

he has a plot by the others along our fence posts. we always get a dog tag engraved with name and dob and dod sad

dh has saved a posh cigar box for his coffin

as long as he is eating/coming out then we wont take him to vet, but if we thought he was in pain etc, then would

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 22-Jun-09 14:40:27

I asked DH every day for 4 days how our first hamster together was, we knew he was fading, and when he shook his head I was in floods of tears.sad

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 22-Jun-09 14:42:04

If he goes very very quiet - no squeaks, etc - he could be going. sad

I thought my hamster was okay when he broke his leg because he wasn't making any noise in pain but the vet told me they go quiet to not attract attention from preditors.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Jun-09 14:43:53

not quiet smile

just seems slow and old, but he may live a bit longer, though i fear he might not make it a month sad

Galava Mon 22-Jun-09 14:45:25

I took ours to the vet. She was getting very smelly as well as being slow.

Turned out she had a uterine infection <<boak>> so it was kinder to put her down.

Imagining a line og dog tags on our fence now ... what a cool idea !!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 22-Jun-09 15:09:46

oh no galava

2 of ours had wee infections but were fine once on antibs (which cost more than adult prescriptions) but obv well worth the cost wink

yep our dog tags look great, we cover with clear nail polish tne weather cant destroy/ruin them, plus if we ever moved them can take them with us

<makes mental note to tell estate agent that we have corpses 8 dead hammys in our garden>

abraid Mon 22-Jun-09 18:22:27

Oh, it's always sad. We've lost three of the little critters and tears were shed each time. You have my sympathy!

spugs Mon 22-Jun-09 20:20:43

One of mine was so old all its hair fell out, he lived for ages and even the vet couldn't understand how he was still going (had no major health complaints). Cant remember how old he was when he went but it was nice and quiet in his sleep. Was a very ugly hammy with no hair though !!! I think all our other ones when we were kids made breaks for freedom and were never seen again.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 23-Jun-09 14:37:50

a bald hammy?

well Jimmy seems to be holding his own, though still wobbly, he is being socaible and had a run about on sofa last night, and scoffed his porridge

so paws crossed for him

abraid Tue 23-Jun-09 15:44:42

Well done, Jimmy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now