Talk

Advanced search

Kitten's lost 3 collars, what would you do...?

(14 Posts)
smee Mon 22-Jun-09 12:40:23

He's 9 months, frisky and totally daft. He's just breezed in without his collar and that's the third one in less than two weeks. They're not expensive (release ones as advised by the Vet), but with the tag engraving it's £10 a time. So what do I do? Give up..?

girlywhirly Mon 22-Jun-09 13:50:20

Mine is just the same! We have lost many collars over 3 years, but some have been 'found' in the garden, and a neighbour who found one in his garden put it through our letterbox! We have had her microchipped, but we just put a cheap screw-together barrel with a paper insert on the collar (about 70p from Wilkinsons) as she was losing about two collars a week at one stage. I always have a stock of collars to hand, ready to put on!

Iklboo Mon 22-Jun-09 13:54:38

Is kitten embarrassed by collars?
MIL has a habit of buying sparkly/bright collars for her cats - both male.
Pusscat 1 likes his
Pussacte 2 goes out with new collar on, comes back 20 minutes later with no collar.

If on the rare occasion MIL buys plain collars

Pusscat 1 comes back with no collar
Pusscat 2 keeos his on until MIL changes them

grin

ClaireDeLoon Mon 22-Jun-09 13:58:00

I just give up - they're microchipped anyway. I bought some lovely ones from here bloody waste of money that was, lasted a few days each. Although they were very pretty. And one cat decided to catch loads of birds so I got a liberator collar (the movement sensor ones that beep) which was £10 and he lost it within 30 mins, came back looking very smug.

smee Mon 22-Jun-09 15:01:20

Ilkboo well he's a bit of a weird beast, as he purrs when we put his collar on, but possibly that's the anticipation of losing it again..
Claire I think you're right as he's turning losing them into an art, but I might just try girlywhily's tip first - at least it's cheaper. If he loses any more thought that's it, he's on his own... grin

FigmentOfYourImagination Mon 22-Jun-09 15:03:19

Get the cat chipped, it is cheap in the long run

smee Mon 22-Jun-09 19:44:19

He is figment, trouble is if he's lost I'm thinking not everyone knows about microchips, and even if they do they might not go the extra mile to get him to a vet to check. Pity they can't have a tatoo really... grin

spugs Mon 22-Jun-09 20:13:01

Ive given up on mine wearing a collar as well, he never keeps them on.

hobbgoblin Mon 22-Jun-09 20:15:20

Microchip, but as mentioned not everyone knows to get an apparently stray cat scanned for a chip.

smee Mon 22-Jun-09 21:47:35

Am thinking these might be worth a try - no attachments (can take bell off). He might not object so much...
http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/personalised-cat-collars.htm

ClaireDeLoon Mon 22-Jun-09 22:17:59

Worth a try smee - they are good quality collars and they do have the proper safe release thingy. I have bought quite a few from there (one was lovely - it had dolphins on, sadly forever lost) and they're a good reliable site ime.

smee Tue 23-Jun-09 11:38:52

I will then - last ditch attempt..

brightwell Tue 23-Jun-09 19:16:05

Do you live near me....next door's cat's have an assortment of cat collars they've collected(stolen)

smee Tue 23-Jun-09 20:30:06

Tell them to give them back or I'll send my five year old round to play with them.. {grin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now