Talk

Advanced search

Ill cat regurgitating saliva - any experience?

(11 Posts)
pointydog Sun 21-Jun-09 22:41:02

My cat is not well for the frst time ever. She is miserable. She has been retching and bringing up saliva. She cannot eat. She is hiding away.

Could it be something simple like a hairball?

Will obv phone vet tomorrow if she's no better.

catless Sun 21-Jun-09 23:24:46

How long has she been like this? How old is she? Could be something as simple as a bit of a tummy upset.

pointydog Mon 22-Jun-09 17:15:16

thanks for replying, cat.

She is 5, only noticed this yesterday afternoon. She is a bit better today, not spitting stuff up and she's eaten a fair amount.

I think she's getting over whatever it is so I'll leave her another day.

pointydog Mon 22-Jun-09 17:16:05

She slopes about very very slowly, looking all forlorn. I almost feel sorry for her wink

fatzak Mon 22-Jun-09 17:17:51

Does she eat grass? Ours was once very ill until the vet removed a blade of grass that had got stuck in her throat/up her nose (not sure what that part is called!)

pointydog Mon 22-Jun-09 17:25:58

yes, she does eat grass. Quite often. She has brought up saliva-y bits of grass before, now that you mention it.

I will keep an eye on her. So long as she stops sloping around and lookin gpathetic.

ShinyPinkShoes Mon 22-Jun-09 17:42:35

This happened to my cat recently.
Exactly the same symptoms as you mention

I took her to the vets and he seemed to know exactly what it was. She had to have a general anaesthetic to have a 4 inch piece of grass removed from the back of her throat. It had left her soft pallet uncerated and she needed painkillers and antibiotics.

The vet said I could have left it to see if she worked it out of her system herself but that she would have been very uncomfortable and in pain so I let him remove it. I just wanted her to feel better as soon as possible.

pointydog Mon 22-Jun-09 17:49:21

ahh. Thanks. Hmm. If she's sickly tomorrow, I'll ring vet

ShinyPinkShoes Mon 22-Jun-09 17:51:44

It seemed intermittent with my cat- one minute she'd be fine and the next not herself at all.

I did what you're doing...kept an eye on her overnight and then took her in in the morning.

Might be an idea to keep her in and not to let her have any food from now onwards just in case as they won't be able to give her a GA if she's eaten in the last 12 hours.

catless Tue 23-Jun-09 14:05:30

How's puss today?

They're nothing but a worry are they?! Mine's recovering from an op as we speak - loads of stitches and a collar on for weeks.

Bless them all.

pointydog Tue 23-Jun-09 20:08:06

Have taken her to the vet who disregarded hairballs and grass and said it was either an infection or possibly asthma. A cat with asthma, I ask you.

ANyway, she has had a steroid injection and is on a course of abs.

She is lying glumly on my plants in the garden just now. With her back to me. In a mood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now