Talk

Advanced search

dog/worms/question

(13 Posts)
FairLadyRantALot Sun 21-Jun-09 09:13:53

Me again....

When we got our dog from the rehoming centre he was worm infested (despite being told he was wormed) and we wormed him immidiately.
Checked his poo regularly to ensure there was nothing wriggling...never saw anything....and obviously kept him up to date with the worming (we use Drontal, whihc is meant to be the best....it's Drontal X plus, or some such thing...due to him being such a big dog).
So, a couple of days he puked and there was roundworms in his puke...( well, first I thought he had eaten noodles...than notice they wriggled....barf)...immediately wormed him again, of course....he has not puked since, and checking his poo there are no worms (but there weren't anyway, iykwim)....so....he should be alright for now?
Is there wormer that is even better than Drontal?
If we should notice worms again, is it o.k. just to reworm as much as you need too (or is there a limit to how often you can worm in any period??)?
Would double dosing sort the problem better? (Someone suggested tat, but am dubious about that person's advice)....?

Will the poor thing always be likely to have worms? Are some dogs more vulnurable to it?

(We do clean the garden and stuff....obviously)...

hercules1 Sun 21-Jun-09 10:22:17

I dont know about worming twice but I wouldnt have thought it was a good idea. I believe worms go through cycles so I think the tablets are designed to deal with a certain stage rather than all at once but I could be totally wrong.

Drontal is good however it doesnt deal with lung worm. FOr this you need advocate. I should know,just had one of my dogs nearly die from it and with a vets bill nearing £800. We had used drontal from online but will always stick to advocate now.

lucyellensmumisgreat Sun 21-Jun-09 10:42:26

don't double the dose!! What has probably happened is that he had quite a heavy infestation and its working through his system. Worming 4 times a year should be sufficient.

lucyellensmumisgreat Sun 21-Jun-09 10:43:35

also - I NEED to see a pic of him on your profile

FairLadyRantALot Sun 21-Jun-09 12:05:14

lol, why do you need to see a pic of him??? [confuddled emoticon]

advocat it is than...I assume you get that from the vets?

Oh, I had actually called the Vet's when I found those worms in his vomit, and they said to worm him again, which is why I did it....
him being infested, still, explains why we have been unable to get him to put any weight on....he is still looking slightly underweight, poor thing...but we just assumed that it is a matter of time, and that whislt he is settling in with us, he might find it harder to put on weight...what with the emotional turmoil he probably is in...

FairLadyRantALot Sun 21-Jun-09 12:31:47

well...have put some pictures of him onto my profile....

he is very handsome...

newpup Sun 21-Jun-09 12:43:03

Worms can take time to eradicate. I would just keep in close contact with your vet and follow his/her advice.

Hope he settles in soon!

lucyellensmumisgreat Sun 21-Jun-09 15:33:05

cos i wanted to see how gorgeous his is of course grin

FairLadyRantALot Sun 21-Jun-09 15:51:04

...well...and what do you think...he is a cutey, isn't he...although...hm...he is quite massive...so...cutey might not be an appropriate term...lol...

he is completely different to our old dog....Ninja was a scruffy black/white/grey Border Collie x....and weight about half of what Tan weighs...

FairLadyRantALot Sun 21-Jun-09 15:51:07

...well...and what do you think...he is a cutey, isn't he...although...hm...he is quite massive...so...cutey might not be an appropriate term...lol...

he is completely different to our old dog....Ninja was a scruffy black/white/grey Border Collie x....and weight about half of what Tan weighs...

lucyellensmumisgreat Sun 21-Jun-09 22:08:05

he is lovely yes, im quite envious

LittleB Mon 22-Jun-09 13:12:06

I had a pup who had picked up worms and sicked some up and the vets advised me to worm him again. This was a couple of years ago and with regular worming he hasn't had any problems since. Mine are now on milbamex (think thats how you spell it) which like advocate does more worms than drontal. See what your vets advise.

FairLadyRantALot Mon 22-Jun-09 19:44:31

yeah, thank you....

lucy....he is a terror, though....lovebable but a terror

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now