Talk

Advanced search

Have 9 year old cat and wondering about getting a kitten

(12 Posts)
LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 16-Jun-09 22:02:38

Our female cat is 9 and I am wondering about possibly getting a kitten.

There are some that will be available at the end of June and having seen PILs kittens recently we are all wondering about it. DS is 5 and DD is 3 and are both sensible with our cat.

Has anyone else done this successfully? Not sure whether the kittens are boys or girls but is it better to get a boy or girl given that we have a girl cat?

We got our cat when she was about 15 months so not sure what is different with kittens either.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 16-Jun-09 23:05:08

Feline bump

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 17-Jun-09 07:58:06

Morning bump (nine year old cat is looking at me)

chocoholic Wed 17-Jun-09 08:26:14

I think kittens are just a bit madder and like doing things like climbing curtains and wardrobes!

I got a second cat when mine was about 18 months old. I got her from the RSPCA and we tried them together in a room first to check they wouldn't attack each other. All OK apart from the fact my original cat then decided he HATED the new one. He spent about 10 years ignoring her until she died last year and is so much happier now!

Hopefully yours will be a bit better together, just be aware that if they hate each other to start with it won't go away!

chocoholic Wed 17-Jun-09 08:26:45

Had to reply, I had the feeling of your cat staring at me!!

GentleOtter Wed 17-Jun-09 08:41:55

Lol grin I felt the cat stare too chocoholic!

My big mountain of a son (Hagrid) is waiting for a little kitten although he has his beloved 7 year old ginger tom too. He thinks Ginger will get on well with the kitten as he was almost like an adoptive Mum with kittens we had five years ago.
I think there might be huffs and hissing though with maybe the odd swipe of paw....(Ginger, not Ds)
Cats get terribly jealous and are very territorial but it might work out. <hopeful>

Bella39 Wed 17-Jun-09 09:43:01

ime usually much easier to get a kitten than bring another cat in. Yes, there may be a bit of hissing to start with (from your older cat) but the kitten will always back down and they usually end up as firm friends.

Makes no difference ime if you get a male or female kitten.

And yes, kittens will climb curtains, try to climb into washing machines, etc., wink

I do think it is very healthy for a lone cat to have a little friend (or two, or three...grin).

Best of luck

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 17-Jun-09 13:21:57

Hmm - one for and two maybe tentative fors (I am obviously trying to convince myself smile)

I will phone the person I think and see what happens.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 18-Jun-09 11:33:39

We are going to see the kittens after school.

Will keep an open mind smile

bethoo Thu 18-Jun-09 11:42:07

you just know you will bring one home as kittens are the cutest things! that is why i am banned from seeing pups and kittens as guaranteed i will bring one home!

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Fri 19-Jun-09 13:03:37

They were all really sweet smile

Not ready to leave their mum yet so I am still thinking about it....

Jux Fri 19-Jun-09 13:21:55

I introduced a new kitten when my older cats were 14 and 18. The 14yo was always a bit unsociable but the 18yo and the kitten got on like a house on fire. My old cat had gone a bit senile and wasn't very well in other ways either, she would get lost going across the hall from kitchen to sitting room and 'cry'. As soon as she started, the kitten would rush out to her and bring her in, 'help' her get comfy in front of the fire, lick her head, prrrp at her, and make everything nice for her. It was lovely to watch them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now