Talk

Advanced search

SO the %^&%$£" dog has jsut peed indoor again

(8 Posts)
Saltire Mon 15-Jun-09 14:00:36

He did this a few times after DH first went away (about 3 months ago). Over the wekend he has started doing it again. He did it the first time against the laundery basket which was int eh kitchen. I cleaned it all out and washed it with a dog repelelnt thing. Now the back door was open into the garden at the time. Well he's done it 3 times since, the final straw being today, again on laundery basket which ahd clothes in it - 3 school polo shirts, a white top for my work and socks all sprayed with dog wee. And all the while the back door is standing open.
How can I stop him,a nd more tot eh point what on earth has made him start doing it again. he's 1

lollzmum Mon 15-Jun-09 21:29:44

Unless he is a fantastic pedigree that you want to breed from - get him castrated - all male dogs mark their territory and he will be aware he is now the alpha male! Castration the only way! (owned dogs all my life btw). This should also stop any aggressive tendencies before they start... good luck

Lovesdogsandcats Mon 15-Jun-09 23:32:57

is he neutered. If not why not.
If he is, it seems behavioural/territorial. Or stress.
Does he get walked every day? dogs, especially males, like to go out and pee a lot to leave their scent.

Buy a DAP diffuser which can help in this kind of situation.

beanieb Mon 15-Jun-09 23:35:09

Does he get 2 long walks a day?

Saltire Tue 16-Jun-09 23:23:14

He isn't neutered becasue we were told by our vet that we had to wait until he was 1, which he was in february, however, DH has been away and I don't drive so he is getting done when DH gets back.
He gets 20 minutes in the morning, an hour- hour and a half in teh afternoon and then ashort 10-15 minute walk in the evening. Not great with my health but who else is going to do it

lollzmum Wed 17-Jun-09 10:50:30

If your dog is going to form habits now is the time to sort them quickly not in a months time or longer when you have fallen out with the dog... Castration sounds worse than it is, dogs are totally different to humans and recover amazingly quickly from operations, in my experience men find it far more of a painful thought than women to deal with so perhaps its better you deal with it. Your vet may even let you pay by instalment, its worth asking. Just can't tell you enough that this needs to be done sooner rather than later. Don't put it off any longer give them a call and book him in - maybe you could walk there and get a friend or relative to come with you and collect. Good luck and you will be pleased you have done it when 24 hrs after the op he is the same dog but alot less likely to mark your house with Pee! Re the walking - sounds alot of walking and you may find he is alot calmer and nicer to be around after the op. If you have a garden I would say 1 walk a day and the use of the garden in the day should be more than fine. If you haven't a garden then this may also be a problem as your dog will still want his patch/territory. Dogs love gardens

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 17-Jun-09 11:34:58

lollzmum, why are you encouraging Saltire to cut down on the dogs walks!!

Saltire those 3 walks a day are plenty adequate, the hour in the afternoon especially!

Get him neutered as soon as poss...go on the bus!

Saltire Wed 17-Jun-09 14:07:38

I know they love gardens, but ours is tiny, plus there's a huge hole in which he puts stones and lies on them like a mother hen sitting on eggs. And anotehr huge hole where is digging to australia grin.
He will get his op in a couple of weeks, it's not the cost - vet says it is £146, I jsut have no way of getting him there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now