Talk

Advanced search

B/Collie or Mixed?

(13 Posts)
Claire2009 Sun 14-Jun-09 22:16:04

Not that it matters grin

But, Rex is pure Tri-Colour B/collie on his vaccination papers, I was curious what you thought?

He has huge paws for a collie, is wide boned, can jump a 4-5 ft fence, very very obedient with very little training, very placid/chilled out I think he's around 25-27kg.

What do you think? pics on Profile

Doodle2u Sun 14-Jun-09 22:41:39

Can't tell for sure but......bloody hell, he's a good looking dog, what ever he is! grin

Claire2009 Sun 14-Jun-09 22:44:32

Thankyou grin have been stopped a few times & asked what he is? why he is so well behaved? he doesn't have a lead for walking and people seem amazed grin

He came back from france on Tues

fruitshootsandheaves Sun 14-Jun-09 22:47:40

I get asked what breed mine is too as she is brown!

He looks likes a border collie to me just not with traditional markings.

Tn0g Sun 14-Jun-09 22:50:31

He's lovely, Claire.

We have a black and white collie - very well behaved dog.

I feel like a contestant on, One Man And His Dog, she's so responsive.

Claire2009 Sun 14-Jun-09 23:00:27

Thanks grin
He's a great dog, he's 4yo now.

I got a B/Collie from a farm in Cornwall years ago (10-11yrs ago) and she was brown & white, very responsive too, unfortunately she died at 13mo

I LOVE B/Collies grin

Some are hyper, have met m fair share of hyper collies, but he is fab and I love him!

He's not bothered by the kids, but does try to stay out of their way wink

fruitshootsandheaves Sun 14-Jun-09 23:05:05

He looks lovely.
I do agility with mine, she is very fast.
She's not very good with other dogs though. Is good with people, although sometimes a bit standoffish.

Claire2009 Sun 14-Jun-09 23:07:39

I think he'd be ideal for agility, I've just not the time to do it with him iukwim. When we was running the farm in France he used to round the sheep/cows, jump high fences, he was great & he's had very little training, he's just done most of it! grin

He does, sit, stay, paw, lay down, that way hmm grin over, in/out ..

Claire2009 Sun 14-Jun-09 23:08:32

Oh, and many people assume he is a female dog, why? Does he look like a 'girl' ? grin

LittleB Mon 15-Jun-09 12:55:30

He is gorgeous. Reminds me of my old collie cross, everyone thought she was a boy though! But similar markings and colouring and again she had big paws and was around 25kg, we think she was part german shepherd, perhaps a 1/4, as she has a thick double coat like a GSD, also hip problems in old age, but she was fit and active until her last couple of months and was pts aged 15. BC's can be very varied in their size though, and round here (Somerset) the farm ones seem to escape and mate with anything so there are alot of crossbreeds about! What does your vet think?

ThisIsJustATribute Mon 15-Jun-09 13:01:42

I think collies are one of those dogs that have had alot of other breeds bred into them over the years so you get the occasional 'throwback'. My Collie is very big - we think he's either got some lurcher in him or is a throwback. Apparently the collies with the 'orange eyebrows' have GSD in them.

You dog is lovely btw - i think he looks like a collie - except maybe his ears - again prob a throwback.

Claire2009 Mon 15-Jun-09 23:00:58

He's a French dog, born in Brest, Finistere, we got him when he was 11wks old I think.

Vet has always said he's a pure collie, but I have always had my doubts. He has orange eyebrows grin
I love his colours/markings and his nature.

alisha29 Mon 15-Jun-09 23:49:18

i think he is a retrevier crossed with gsd hmmm not sure bout the collie but the vet told you as hes the expertsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now