Talk

Advanced search

i've put my indoor rabbit outside

(19 Posts)
southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 19:19:52

hope she survives the night <nervous> she's not so sure atm

cornsilk Sat 13-Jun-09 19:20:53

Why did you put her out? (nosy emoticon)

bigchris Sat 13-Jun-09 19:21:09

in a hutch I take it?!!

mrsmaidamess Sat 13-Jun-09 19:25:20

If she is in a hutch she will be fine. Make sure the catch is secure though, a fox opened our hutch by scratching at the door.

thisisyesterday Sat 13-Jun-09 19:30:57

she should be ok as long as it isn't too cold where you are.
why have you put her out?

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 13-Jun-09 19:35:03

looks like the weather will be ok tonight (mild)

but it is generally not a Good Idea to move indoor pets outdoors (such as bunnies and guineas)

I would advise against doing it unless there is an excellent reason.

southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 19:35:05

yes in a hutch! i just thought she would be happier out there. she seems a little jumpy inside and the weather is better (not to mention the flies she attracts). hoping to get her in with my other outside rabbit eventually.

southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 19:35:37

oh no don't say that figment

ilovesprouts Sat 13-Jun-09 19:37:58

ive had rabits and guineas outside theve always been ok in this weather look out for fly strike

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 13-Jun-09 19:39:32

honestly sea. I'm sure she'll be ok tonight and you do stand the best chance of integrating her into outside life by starting in summer BUT, really her system is not geared up for the weather/fluctuations in temperature of outdoor nights / colder days if she has always been an indoor bunny.

Re flies - do make sure you treat her with flystrike spray/powder. Outdoor bunnies are very susceptible to it, but then I suppose you already know that with having an outdoor bunny too.

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 13-Jun-09 19:41:44

Yes, of course rabbits and guineas can live outdoors perfectly happily (so long as they are appropriately sheltered) but these are animals which have been outdoors all/most of their lives. An animal used to an ambient indoor temp, no draughts, fewer pests, fewer predators etc will be more vulnerable.

ilovesprouts Sat 13-Jun-09 19:53:51

i have not got them now, but mine was always ok in the winter i put LOTSof straw in etc even put dds old socks on water bottles ,to stop them from freezing upsmile

TripleTroubleMuffin Sat 13-Jun-09 19:56:52

Has she spent any time outside before?

canny Sat 13-Jun-09 20:01:58

We had outdoor bunnies - hutch in stable, one passed away when tiny. Kept the other indoors for 2 years. Moved her out - hutch in garage. Bought her a friend. Moved them out for good into a shed surrounded by 20 meter square run.

She lived a long, healthy and very happy life. Hope that puts your mind at rest smile But as others have said - fly strike protection and we vacinated as well as lot of mixi around where we are. Give them loads of bedding too.

southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 21:13:12

i'm keeping a close eye on her. she seems to be ok so far! she has been out lots in the run.

TripleTroubleMuffin Sun 14-Jun-09 17:28:02

How is she after her night out?

southeastastra Mon 15-Jun-09 13:19:18

she's fine, seems relaxed.

TripleTroubleMuffin Mon 15-Jun-09 17:32:11

That's good. smile

Is she going to live outside now?

southeastastra Mon 15-Jun-09 18:13:35

hope so! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now