Talk

Advanced search

How to transport a puppy / dog in the car?

(19 Posts)
Sherbert37 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:56:39

I was hoping to get a crate to fit in the boot of my Corsa but the rear seat slopes back so there is not much room. Any other options for transporting a Border Terrier? Are the soft cages ok in cars?

bella39 Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:29

Did you look at any special car crates, Sherbert? You can get them with a sloping side.

tbh, with 2 (soon to be 3) big dogs, this is why I drive a hulking great estate blush

When I had a JRT he used to sit on the front seat with his paws on the dashboard grin

gegs73 Thu 11-Jun-09 12:51:04

You can get dog harnesses/seat belt attachment. I've not tried one but I've heard they are good.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Thu 11-Jun-09 12:52:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MitchyInge Thu 11-Jun-09 12:56:02

the harnesses work for some dogs better than others - I had a german wirehaired pointer chew completely through the seatbelt when restrained with an RAC harness, and some dogs just twirl round and round and get tied up in knots

I think lintran make crates to fit most vehicles

or why not just put up a dog guard behind the rear seats and let him/her have the entire boot?

clumsymum Thu 11-Jun-09 12:59:24

Yes I'd look for a dog guard rather than a crate for a small car. Google 'car dog guard', you'll get loads of suggestions.

doggiesayswoof Thu 11-Jun-09 13:37:08

I've got a Border too and am wondering about this. We also have a Corsa (sorry Sherbert this is getting a bit like Single White Female) and was thinking of a dog guard for the boot.

But she is still so tiny. I couldn't leave her sliding around the boot just now.

For the time being I think we are going to borrow my mum's old cat carrier (cat has gone on to a better place where there's no need for visits to the vet)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Jun-09 14:01:19

ruby - really? i didnt know that

so they have to be tied up/in cage etc?

overthemill Thu 11-Jun-09 14:08:06

the highway code just says this:

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

MitchyInge Thu 11-Jun-09 15:15:45

is it in the animal welfare act, this 'law'? obviously it is sensible to secure dogs in cars somehow, didn't know it was compulsory

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Thu 11-Jun-09 15:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spugs Thu 11-Jun-09 18:32:20

mine goes in the footwell as theres no seat or boot space hmm

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 12-Jun-09 07:49:17

mine wouldnt fit in the footwell grin

and he takes up the whole boot - but he cant escape over the back seats so guess he is restained

Sherbert37 Fri 12-Jun-09 09:11:53

I think I will go with a dog guard and basket in the boot. She fits in our old cat basket at the moment. Thanks everyone.

janesright Fri 12-Jun-09 09:23:30

My dog sits on the back seat with a seat belt harness he's fine

flowerybeanbag Fri 12-Jun-09 09:27:25

I don't think I'd put a basket in sherbert37. Just because in the event of an accident that's something heavy flying around hitting your dog. We put ours in the back with a dog guard and he goes on a soft cushion.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 12-Jun-09 11:38:17

oh to be able to fit woffa into a cat basket envy grin

Sherbert37 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:35:39

Right, no basket then. This is more complicated than I could have dreamed. Plus side is an adorable puppy who sleeps every couple of hours for an hour then wakes up and just sits waiting for me. She has all but stopped the trouser pulling, except when she is tired. It is lovely having some company during the day when the DCs are at school.

Sherbert37 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:36:53

Just seen Aldi special offers from Sunday 14th are pet things - bed, grooming set etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now