Talk

Advanced search

Strange behaviour from both cats; no doubt due to kittens' birth, but what do I do?

(8 Posts)
Jux Wed 10-Jun-09 19:03:05

We have two cats, one neutered male of 3yo and one blush unspayed female of 1yo. She has just had 3 kittens (they are sooooo cute! - pix on profile). Now the male, who used to be like a big bro to her, is running scared. He won't go into the room where she gave birth, where the kittens are currently housed, he is very tentative with her when he meets her and generally just about manages a touched nose before he runs. He is quite relaxed the rest of the time though.

She seems to be suffering from mashed brain syndrome at the moment. Won't go through the cat flap, but will go out in the garden as long as someone opens the door and goes with her. She obviously wants to go out as she will come downstairs and 'take' you to the back door. I've just shown her the catflap (which she had been using right up to the day she gave birth) and she has looked at me as if I am an idiot. I showed her how it worked and she was soooo close to going through it, but then dd and her friend came running through the room and the poor thing lost her nerve.

I don't really understand what is going on with either of them. Any enlightenment will be fantastic.

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 19:07:53

They sound just like new parents. grin Even if the boy isn't the dad.

Maybe her undersides are sore if she doesn't want to go through the car flap.

Maybe she wants you to stay with her in the garden so you can't go off and sneak cuddles with her babies while she is busy.

Maybe boycat is unsure about her now -maybe she smells differently - and feels protective.

I have no idea, sorry.

Jux Wed 10-Jun-09 21:08:37

They are a bit like new parents. Mum spends most of her time bf and cleaning up poo while dad's out in the shed grin

Jux Wed 10-Jun-09 21:57:11

Perhaps he's found some sandpaper in there!wink

bella39 Thu 11-Jun-09 08:45:06

Cats in the wild have to protect their young from other males who would kill the cubs and then mate with the female. This would explain why your boy is wary (she may have told him to stay away) and why she is scared of what may be outside wink

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Thu 11-Jun-09 20:29:53

my "little" cat had 2 kittens a few months ago and my "big" cat wouldn't go anywhere near the little cat and her babies despite the 2 cats being good friends before the babies came along.

I think the cats know that the mummy may be protective and so stay away for their own safety!

My big cat is still huffy around the 12 week old kittens but is getting better with their mummy again

Jux Thu 11-Jun-09 20:45:25

I caught them sniffing at each other in the garden today. Also she tried to lick his head (her favourite greeting) this morning.

I am hoping that she will persuade him that he's safe. She's very relaxed about her babes and lets us pick them up and doesn't panic even when they squeak. She's also OK with people who are almost strangers picking them up and having a look.

She regularly comes downstairs and goes out into the garden and plays about and hangs around. She gives me the impression she's pretty bored and wants company. I usually go and read quietly for an hour or so in the afternoon up there, but couldn't today, so she came down and kept me company for an hour or so!

FabulousBakerGirl Thu 11-Jun-09 22:13:03

Bless smile

I can' wait until we can have kittens. The kids are desperate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now