Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SIlly to get new kitten with 18mo DS?

(4 Posts)
Naetha Tue 09-Jun-09 22:04:36

We live in a nice semi with a big garden, and already have 3 cats.

We figured that we could handle 4 as well as 3, so decided to offer a home to an unwanted moggy.

DS loves our cats, but they know to keep their distance (he gets excited and pats rather than strokes, although is much better now). I'd love to take him to a cat rescue centre, but I think the excitement would be too much for him, and he wouldn't act around the cats as he would at home.

How should we go about this, or should we leave it? We also have another one on the way, due in November

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 15:53:50

I'm not sure I would go for a rescue cat, they can be very nervous and might struggle to adapt to a toddler. You may also find that the animal rescue centre won't let you have one for that reason (ours wouldn't, we ended up getting a farm kitten who is remarkably robust!)

Bella21 Wed 22-Jul-09 15:58:22

If you can find a rescue that will rehome to you, do that. Not nervous ime.

Best bet would be a 6 month old kitten - the small cute tiny ones are easy to find homes for, and are cannon fodder for toddlers. Bigger ones a bit more savvy and can make a getaway if need be.

Best of luck wink

PrincessToadstool Wed 22-Jul-09 16:01:47

Not all rescue cats are nervous and damaged - some cats need rehoming because their families have moved etc.

Agree getting a slightly older kitten might be a better idea, and if you already have cats I am sure it will be fine. I am continually surprised by both my DS's gentleness with our cats (he is 21 months, they are coming up to 2) and in turn, their patience with him. It's lovely to see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now