Talk

Advanced search

Guinea pig with broken front teeth.

(5 Posts)
smurfgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 23:10:36

My piggy has had one too many fights and has managed to snap his two front teeth off. Also has some scratches on his rear from where they have tried to hump him to show domincance.

Went to the vet today and he has had some painkillers, and antibiotics. He also has a week of antibiotics to have. Vet seems very unbothered by the whole thing.

Have bought him a new cage and he is now side by side with the other pigs so hopefully no more fights but they can still chat through the bars.

He seems really perky, he can eat his pellets but not fresh fruit and veg. His rear end is obviously a bit sore when you stroke him but he is squeaking away happily. Vet said his mouth did not look sore and he is fine if you look at it.

His pee is brownish coloured though so I am worried he is dehydrated. He has had a few drinks from his water bottle but I am worried his lack of front teeth are stopping him from drinking?

Will he be ok? Feel so sorry for him and very guilty that we let this happen sad

CherryChoc Mon 08-Jun-09 23:18:01

Oh no Sorry, I don't have any expertise, I know my mum syringe-fed a poorly rabbit once, could you try syringe-feeding him a bit of water? You can get a feeding/medicine syringe from a chemist (maybe 24 hour supermarket?).

Did the vet mention Vitamin C? You know g.pigs need to get it from their diet I assume - so he might not be getting enough from his food if he isn't having fresh stuff. You can buy soluble vitamin C tablets at the chemist which you can put into their water, my friend used to do this with her g.pigs and she swore it made them live longer.

I don't know whether I'd be worried about the water drinking or not tbh, they are desert animals originally, so perhaps don't need much? I will have a look on google.

smurfgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 23:20:45

We will get him some vitamin C drops yes, but his food is a complete food so it should have enough vitamin C in it already.

Will give him some water with a syringe before we go to bed.

CherryChoc Mon 08-Jun-09 23:24:58

I found this:
www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/Syringe-feeding.htm

smurfgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 23:30:42

Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now