Talk

Advanced search

Can I leave my puppy alone...

(11 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Mon 08-Jun-09 13:28:51

…from 8.30am – 3.30pm with a quick toilet break at lunchtime?

DH and DC and I are booked to go on a week-long course in August. Puppy will be 4 months old. If we go as planned, she will be in the crate from 8.30 – 12, then again from 12.45 – 3.30pm from Monday – Friday. I will come home during the lunch break (leaving early) to feed her, let her out for a pee and a bit of exercise.

I realise this is far from ideal and I am not very happy about it but the only other option really is for me not to go on the course.

I don’t think I will be able to get anyone to help out.

Could we use a dog walker or dog sitter maybe?

Leaving her in the crate for so long just seems so cruel.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 08-Jun-09 13:30:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bella39 Mon 08-Jun-09 13:34:17

Agree too long - she won't be able to hold that long at this age.

Can you arrange a dog walker to come in?

doggiesayswoof Mon 08-Jun-09 13:39:22

You've both confirmed what I already knew...

We might be able to do that bella. I will need to make some enquiries. We knew this would be an issue but we've had this course booked for months, well before we knew exactly when the puppy would be joining us (or if we'd even be getting one at all this year)

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 08-Jun-09 13:43:57

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 08-Jun-09 13:44:49

doggiesayswoof Mon 08-Jun-09 16:13:35

ruby, I have a dog-loving aunt who might take her - but it feels like a big ask. Breeder is too far away. I would want her back each night.

Might phone aunt...

Sherbert37 Mon 08-Jun-09 22:53:05

I am going to have to leave mine for about the same time once a week from August. DD will come home from school at lunchtime to walk her. Wish I didn't have to but she seems to like the crate so hope it will be ok. Her crate is big - the basket takes up less than half of it. Planning to do a long walk before leaving to tire her out.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you Doggiesayswoof? I am near Stirling. Just wondered if we might see each other out and about soon?

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Tue 09-Jun-09 08:47:57

Sherbert37 Tue 09-Jun-09 09:20:17

Thanks Ruby for the reassurance. I am getting her to go into the crate from about 9am each day for an hour or so to get her used to the routine. She is sleeping there quite happily now.

doggiesayswoof Tue 09-Jun-09 12:47:29

Sherbert I am in Glasgow.

Aunt can't do the whole week and isn't keen on pup being in her house all day (or rather her dh is not keen)

DH is now saying that he just won't do the course and I can go on my own with the dc. I'm feeling a lot happier with this - I was getting quite worried about it and the whole family doing the course together doesn't seem so important now somehow - priorities have changed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now