Talk

Advanced search

do rescue centres have minimum age for rehoming dogs with children?

(7 Posts)
cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 16:33:51

were still waiting to hear from landlady if we will be allowed a dog.but im obsessing while waiting(whilst telling dc not to get over excited in case it never happens!).

do rescue centres rehome dogs with familys with children?our dc are 9,8 and 3.

TrinityRhino Sun 07-Jun-09 16:35:36

they vary greatly but alot dont particularly like rehoming with chldren under 2

Pingpong Sun 07-Jun-09 21:50:58

A lot of the national ones seem to have quite strict limits. I found a local independant rescue centre that had no problem with me getting a puppy and having an under 1.
Good luck

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:13:33

thanks

PrammyMammy Sun 07-Jun-09 22:15:38

Hey,
They don't have age restrictions as such, but each dog is reviewed on its history and if that dog hasn't been brought up with children then they won't rehome it with any.
They have a seperate section for puppies in the Dogs Trust. We had a baby when we adopted from there. BUT sadly we ended up having to return the dog, who was 16 weeks by the time they had done our home check and puppy training classes etc as she HATED children and men, none of that was mentioned in her personal profile and she was suitable for kids. She dragged my niece across the floor, for no reason, dn was playing with Peppa Pig one min and the dog was pulling her the next. It took the Dogs Trust 4 weeks to take her back as they didn't have any space and when they did they changed her personal profile to say that she didn't like children and would suit a female owner. She was really timid and snappy, but we don't know her reasons for ending up at the Dogs Trust so she could have been hurt or abused.
We adopted another puppy after her, but she was from an independent center that specialized in her breed, they came to our house with the pup and let her settle in and meet everyone. They told us her background, they had got her from a puppy farm in Ireland and she had been with them ever since, but she had no history of abuse.
Anyway i have ranted on enough, i guess what i am trying to say is you should look into the dogs background, don't just get one because the rescue say they will be good with kids. Good luck finding your pup.

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Jun-09 22:18:29

thankyou,thats very helpful.its awful that you had to find that out the hard way!

Tortoise Sun 07-Jun-09 22:18:32

Some do have age limits. One i phoned a while ago would house any dog in a house with under 6's.
I got a greyhound from RGT in the end. They were happy to home him with a family. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now