Talk

Advanced search

rehoming a hundred goldfish - ideas please?!

(17 Posts)
ouchitreallyhurts Sun 07-Jun-09 10:29:02

we are due to move 18th of this month and when we moved in 6 years ago, our sellers left a pond with loads of fish and we just took them on.
hubby built them a new pond and as we transferred them over I did a head count of 144.

our buyers have told us yesterday that they do not want the fish left here and we do not have a pond at the new house - nor do we want one. stupidly we'd assumed they wanted the fish as they seemed very interested int he pond on their viewings.

a neighbour has said they will have a few but with the stress of moving with 4 very young children and disabled grandma, I really need to find out what to do with the fishes - can anyone help with ideas?

Flower3545 Sun 07-Jun-09 10:34:58

Would a pet shop take them off your hands perhaps?

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Jun-09 10:36:51

oh gosh that's a lot of fish

a local fish shop took my friends angel fish when it went mad and killed all her other fish lol
so it might be worth ringing around and seeing if any would take yours?

freecycle?

bigstripeytiger Sun 07-Jun-09 10:45:59

Freecycle or Gumtree might be your best bet that way you can specify that whoever gets the fish has to collect them.

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 10:47:57

freecycle - but not all areas allow pet posts, so check the rules of yours before you post. If it says no pet ads, try neighbouring areas.

peggotty Sun 07-Jun-09 10:48:44

Freecycle will not allow you to put any living thing on their boards. How about phoning the rspca for some advice?

Goober Sun 07-Jun-09 10:52:55

Where are you?

ouchitreallyhurts Sun 07-Jun-09 11:05:33

thanks for suggestions

we are in worcestershire Goober.

Podrick Sun 07-Jun-09 11:13:23

Perhaps the local aquatic shop would collect them?

ouchitreallyhurts Sun 07-Jun-09 11:23:36

i try them, was just worried that there might be a policy in case our fish were infected in any way?

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 11:35:06

From members' FAQs:

"CAN WE USE FREECYCLE GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Some groups say yes, but keep it legal & lovingly careful. Other groups say no, please refer to Petfinder (www.petfinder.com) to find a pet locally. It depends on what you and your fellow members have decided on locally. However, posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed in Freecycle groups."

So try all the groups in your area (all West Midlands)

smile

ooh ooh - look here - fish rescue.co.uk!!!

ouchitreallyhurts Sun 07-Jun-09 11:37:24

Ah ponders - you star!!!

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 11:38:16

or aquarist classifieds - people looking for fish on here

this ad placed in March, worth ringing?

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 11:40:56

Midlands Koi rescue what kind are all your fish, ouch?

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 11:42:33

(it's just dawned on me how appropriate my name is for this thread grin)

good luck

ouchitreallyhurts Sun 07-Jun-09 12:16:28

oh yes 'pond'ers - that's good that!!!

good news, one of our lovely neighbours heard of our plight and having just build a new pond has offered to take a load of our hands

have also emailed the fish rescue people to take the rest too so thank you ever so much for your links and suggestions today - I lost sleep over this last night!

Ponders Sun 07-Jun-09 12:17:53

Oh that's excellent news ouch, well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now