Talk

Advanced search

Has any one used Devils Claw for arthritis in dogs

(4 Posts)
hamsterlover Sat 06-Jun-09 12:54:58

Just wondering if anyone has used this - have got a 4 year old cross breed just been diagnosed witih arthritis in her hips, and wondered if this would help her?

bella39 Sat 06-Jun-09 13:27:16

Have used it for horses, but not dogs.

Has your vet suggested synoquin?

hamsterlover Sat 06-Jun-09 14:06:05

Thanks Bella,
Vet has put her on glyco - flex which is glucosamine, is synoquin similar? Has been stiff and limping for a couple of weeks after falling off a wall, vet initially thought it was her knee but then found out it was her hips. Was on rimadyl initially and seemed to ease her a bit but now taken off it. thought devils claw might help as anti inflamatory.
We have to keep her on short lead walks only at the moment - this is driving both me and the dogs (have 2)mad!

bella39 Sat 06-Jun-09 14:13:59

Yes, it's glucosamine and chondroitin - does the long-term helping-to-repair-the-damage bit, and I believe it also has some anti-inflammatory effect (I'm not a vet but my dog has similar problems). My dog was on Cosequin initially but allegedly Synoquin is better in this respect.

It is hard restricting the exercise in a youngish dog. Are there any hydrotherapy places near you - might be worth a try. My vet has also suggested accupuncture, but is not convinced it works hmm

Best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now