Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions on how to stop a 1year old dog digging great big hoels in teh garden

(9 Posts)
Saltire Fri 05-Jun-09 16:25:45

Sometimes he puts things such as toys, socks etc in the hole. other times he just keeps digging, scattering soil all ove r the place

madwomanintheattic Fri 05-Jun-09 16:33:12

<marks thread>

you must have the same problem as me - we're due to march out next month and i am beside myself at the state of our moss lawn.

even worse, once the flipping dog has finished, the blooming child thinks it's ok to have a go. i'm sure if it actually looked like a lawn in the first place, it wouldn't happen.

i've currently got all my garden furniture set out at jaunty angles all over the place to cover the repair work as he always digs in the same place...

madwomanintheattic Fri 05-Jun-09 16:33:51

ours puts stones in there btw. (dog not child)

Piffle Fri 05-Jun-09 16:34:10

What breed? Some are programmer to dig
Try distraction toys like a stuffed kong
Or else make a dog sand pit and everytime he digs take him to where he is allowed to dig
Is he walked a lot?
Boredom is often to blame
2 x a day 30 minutes minimum to exercise them enough

Saltire Fri 05-Jun-09 19:57:37

He's a Border Collie. He gets a 20 minute walk in the morning, at least 45-60 minute wlak in the afternoon, follwed by 20 mins of chasing frisbee. Then 15 minutes round the block in the evenings. If he's that keen to get to Australia it can be arranged. The holes are deep, past my ankles when I stand in them

bella39 Sat 06-Jun-09 11:01:34

Hiya Saltire

Have you tried the Nina Ottossen (sp?) dog toys - they're like puzzles for the dog to get treats out of. Might help keep his mind occupied, and I think it's that rather than exercise he's needing. Or a big raw knuckle bone.

Or piffle's suggestion of a special diggng area works too - you can hide toys and bones in the sand for him.

HTH

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sat 06-Jun-09 14:20:27

my border collie likes to dig too.

She is always covered in mud!

moshie Sat 06-Jun-09 14:33:17

I ended up fencing half the garden off to keep the dog out unless he was supervised, the kids were complaining about falling down the holes!

lukeysmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 22:44:06

we have a beagle who is trying to dig the channel tunnel but he only digs when it has rained we did once upon a time have a lovely garden but not no more and his holes are deep too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now