Talk

Advanced search

Do antibiotics give cats the runs?

(4 Posts)
catless Thu 04-Jun-09 18:38:43

My 'new' cat which I rescued in January has been to the vets today. I don't know her age - a generous estimate would be about 13. She has a lump on her side which is being removed next week (along with a tooth) and a spot of blood in her poo so she is on antibiotics (Synulox) but after the first tablet seems to have developed the runs. I seem to remember previous cats reacting in this way but I can't find any evidence that this is normal. Anybody help here?

PestoMonster Thu 04-Jun-09 18:45:06

I think antibiotics are prone to giving you an upset tummy, so I would hazard a guess that yes, that's what's caused it.

Longtalljosie Thu 04-Jun-09 19:09:50

My cat's just had 42 days of antibiotics shock and yes, he developed the frantic runs. The vet gave me some probiotic cat food to build his gut flora back up again

catless Fri 05-Jun-09 08:52:41

Thanks both - that reassures me. She seems fine this morning - no poo overnight but I think that's probably a good sign. She's just eaten a hearty breakfast (laced with pink tablet)and is snoozing happily. Poor little sausage - little does she know she's under the knife on Tuesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now