Talk

Advanced search

How can I get the dogs to designate one part of the garden as their personal loo?

(23 Posts)
VintageGardenia Tue 02-Jun-09 11:56:01

I want to let my ten-month-old wriggle around in the garden but even after the dog crap has been picked up I just can't bring myself to plonk him on the grass. I'd love it if the dogs would go tidily in one small corner of the garden, any ideas as to how I could encourage them to do this?

A sign, maybe...

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Jun-09 19:11:52

good question

<blonde scoops up 10stone dog poo>

tbh i do let my 11mth in garden but as she doesnt move yet, she sits happily on rug

sure in a month or 2, then will have to really check garden

though you can guarantee 3yr will find a lump of poo to tred in

<blonde rolls eyes in dispair>

Mumsnut Tue 02-Jun-09 19:21:48

Newspaper and an ash tray?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Jun-09 19:23:31

whats the ash tray and newspaper for

for me to smoke as stressed?grin

and wallop dog with newspaper

Tortington Tue 02-Jun-09 19:48:02

we have a small garden and walk the dog for a shit

thats your answer really.

for inbetween urinating, we have a paved garden with a border with flowers. we have cleared one accessible area free from things that will hurt our dogs fanjo - she wees there

girlywhirly Tue 02-Jun-09 20:35:41

My friend fenced in an area of lawn just for her toddler to play in. Prevented her dogs fouling the grass, and the toddler falling in the pond! It was just a simple construction with stakes and wire fencing. They even had a picnic bench/table in there, and they ate lunch out there in the summer without the dogs scrounging, because they were outside the enclosure.

VintageGardenia Tue 02-Jun-09 21:10:59

See, even the words "just a simple construction with stakes and wire fencing" make me feel a bit defeated! I do quite like the idea of the enclosure, though, come to think of it my brother has something similar, a sort of gated bit of decking with a table & chairs inside too.

I would walk em out but they aren't that regular - not last-thing-at-nighters or anything like that. I thought there might be some way of attracting them to one place rather than keeping them out of other places iyswim.

The bigger dog leaves vast piles and the little one leaves sneaky traps.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Jun-09 21:14:49

defeated or defecate grin

VintageGardenia Tue 02-Jun-09 21:15:57

Bleuuurgh!

girlywhirly Wed 03-Jun-09 08:55:44

V.G., it really was simple! Stakes hammered into lawn with a mallet, position fencing around the outside, secure fencing to stakes with those horseshoe shaped nails hammered on. It was only intended to be a temporary thing. I guess it depends whether your dogs would try to jump over it/ demolish it in an attempt to join you within!

I think my friend did something similar around her veg plot too, in her words, "the only crap I want on my veg plot is the agricultural kind." She added that it would be good if the plants stayed in the ground instead of being dug up or flattened by dogs!

JimmyMcNulty Wed 03-Jun-09 14:03:31

We've trained ours to go in one bit of our garden (too lazy to fence it though), did it when we moved house. They were used to going anywhere in our old garden, so it did take quite a long time and effort - basically every time we let them out one of us went with them and chivvied them to the right area, didn't let them walk elsewhere until they'd done their biz. Then they got a treat and permission to play at will. It was a big pain (this was in winter, and it's no fun standing around waiting for 2 dogs to wee and poo in the snow) for what must have been about 4 months, but has really paid off now. Next time I get a dog I'll train it to one area right from the start!

Bubblebell1 Fri 05-Jun-09 14:37:47

Mine only goes up the back of the garden but you can buy this 'pee post' thingy from pets at home. it smells and attracts them to that area. i will be trying it in a few weeks as im getting a new puppy

VintageGardenia Sat 06-Jun-09 13:13:35

Pee post, eh? Off to Google. Or perhaps Bing.

Bubblebell1 Sun 07-Jun-09 08:46:09

vintage Did you find it?

VintageGardenia Sun 07-Jun-09 18:46:40

I found this I assume is it or s/th similar? TBH it's more of a solids problem, but perhaps would work for both.

corblimeymadam Sun 07-Jun-09 19:09:01

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:13:46

Dead easy. We have a gravelled bit and they only use that. Just keep taking them to that bit and dont let them leave till they've been then loads of praise.

We also feed barf so much smaller poos and less wees.

Bubblebell1 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:34

vintage i think it is a solution for both.
it is the same product just in pets at home.

purpleduck Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:04

We have a front bit that is bark- chipped, and totally fenced off. That is my dogs toilet, and they don't go out the back very often. Though when they do, they usually manage a very quick, very sneaky poo!! grin

VintageGardenia Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:09

Belgianbun I think I said earlier, they are not so regular that they will go at the same time each day / on a walk. That is the problem unfortunately.

VintageGardenia Sun 07-Jun-09 19:22:45

Feed barf?

hercules1 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:25:38

bones and raw food

VintageGardenia Sun 07-Jun-09 23:04:27

We feed dreadful dry gravelly stuff, this is also meant to make crap more bearable than tinned "meat" stuff.

Anyway will report progress, if any wink, on training to go in specific area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now