Talk

Advanced search

my border terrier is turning into a scarf!

(9 Posts)
coolj Tue 02-Jun-09 09:21:21

I have a very loving, affectionate, adorable nearly 2 yo border terrier. For the past couple of months when I have a lie down on the sofa, he jumps up, sits on my shoulder and drapes his body round my neck.

Why does he do this? Is he being affectionate, protective or is he trying to dominate me?

Can anyone shed any light on this please smile.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 02-Jun-09 09:25:06

Sounds protective and affectionate to me, the set up you describe sounds like the way a pup would lie with its mother. smile

coolj Tue 02-Jun-09 09:37:01

I hope so. I just wasnt sure if he wanted to dominate me or something. He went through a stage of REALLY wanting to mate with something. He would 'bellydance' every 5 mins of the day grin. Seems to have passed for the moment though. When he was a pup he stole one of my teddies. I found it in his bed where it was being 'abused'. Then the pup urinated on it??

KingCanuteIAm Tue 02-Jun-09 09:41:05

Hormones running wild! Humping is not a sign of dominance it is a tool they use to get to know each other, to understand each other and so on. I really wouldn't worry about it. If he is 2yo and is well behaved in all other aspects then I would say he is showing affection, if you are not happy with it put him off each time until he learns not to do it!

coolj Tue 02-Jun-09 10:01:09

I wouldnt push him off. I love him so much. I think its wonderful that two different species can live in harmony. Im sure I was a dog in a previous life though. Or perhaps tinkered with in an alien spaceship grin

Hassled Tue 02-Jun-09 10:04:00

I used to have a cat who thought he was a scarf - great in winter, less good when I was already hot . I once managed to get up from the sofa and make a cup of tea with cat-as-scarf still draped around me.

KingCanuteIAm Tue 02-Jun-09 10:05:20

grin

If you are happy then I don't think you are likely to have any real trouble!

coolj Tue 02-Jun-09 10:08:38

grin

I didnt mention my cat did I. She tells me when its my bedtime, tucks herself in beside me in bed, has special meaows for me, kills spiders for me.

Yesterday morning, in the shower (me, not her) I found something in my hair. I pulled out a mangled spider. God I was horrified.

My pets are taking over. (I also havnt mentioned my rabbit who has the run of the yard now, or my fish)

KingCanuteIAm Tue 02-Jun-09 10:28:47

Sounds fantastic grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now