Talk

Advanced search

cat has caught a fledgling - seems unharmed - what to do

(15 Posts)
MrsPickles Mon 01-Jun-09 21:51:55

Bloody cat! Has caught the cutest little bird I have ever seen, looks like a baby sparrow. Is fully feathered but can't fly although its flapping its wings & trying to. It looks uninjured. I think its just too young to fly properly yet. On googling and looking up RSPBA advice have put it under a nearby bush & hoping its parents will find it. Can't see a nest anywhere so don't know if its anywhere close. All fingers crossed. How long do you think I should let it wait for its parents, and should I try and keep it warm? Can't think of any suitable container to put it in (although transported it to bush in DH's size 13 shoe, not sure if he'll be happy if leave shoe outside all night though!), but could pop it on a muslin cloth. And if its still there in the morning - I can't let it die! What shall I do? Bloody bloody cat. It never bloody kills anything outright, just brings them in house to torture and usually loses them, god knows how many mice there are behind the sofa.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 01-Jun-09 21:54:56

Phone the local vet, sometimes they have contact numbers for folk who take them in. In the mean time, keep it warm and feed it dog food IIRC, feel free to contradict this if you know more then me. Bring it inside, put an old tea towel in a shoe box and put it in there.

MrsPickles Mon 01-Jun-09 22:12:09

I have found a local wildlife centre on the internet, but they are only open 10am to 6.30pm. Want to give the bird a chance to find its parents, but can't hear any birds calling for it and worried baby bird is injured, because its not making any noise at all now sad Going to bring it inside at 11pm to keep warm overnight I've decided. God, I will cry if it dies. Think you are right about the dog food - v soggy cat biscuits also recommended which luckily I do have

cornsilk Mon 01-Jun-09 22:17:48

We used to bring in birds when we were small (cat was so good at catching them) but they all died. Can you leave it in a shed or something? We put dog food out for the fox and the birds all eat it, so will probably be a good idea. Also a drink.

TheOddOne Mon 01-Jun-09 22:17:50

Meal worms are fab if you are thinking long term - until it can fly. Exotic shops sell them and you can order them online - they come in the post the next day.

Good Luck - we raised two house martins a few years back and they flew out of my window one day - it was fab! I like to think they came back the following spring grin.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 01-Jun-09 22:22:56

Call the vet if it's hurt. They will be the best ones to advise you. Is it moving? It may be asleep.

MrsPickles Mon 01-Jun-09 22:40:46

It is moving, was flapping wings earlier & hopping after I rescued it from the cat. Think it may be in shock now as just quite still, OR it is injured and dying in which case probably can't do anything sad. Have put it in on of DD's little shallow food bowls on top of a folded muslin, tucked a little way under a bush, am thinking actually that its a pretty warm night. Popped a couple of soaked cat biscuits in there. I'm more inclined to let nature take its course as best I can, have decided not to bring it indoors so to give it best chance of finding parents & and won't try & feed it long term (am out all day at work anyway). If its still alive in the morning & still no sign of parents will call the wildlife centre. There is good advice on a couple of websites & the consenus seems to be to give it best possible chance to let it find its parents rather than take in from the wild. Am keeping my cat in tonight, just hope the other neighbourhood cats don't see it! Don't think vet will be able to say much more than that, and have no car tonight to take it anywhere anyhow. I will have to persuade DH to take to wildlife centre tomorrow if bird is still there.

I am going to be v sad tomorrow morning though if there is a little dead bird in that dish ! Probably guilt stricken too but think that is best I can do really.

cornsilk Mon 01-Jun-09 22:42:29

Poor thing. If it's injured or in shock there's probably not a lot you could do anyway.

Pannacotta Mon 01-Jun-09 22:43:40

Can you keep your cat in, to give the bird a better chance of making it through the night?

MrsPickles Mon 01-Jun-09 23:58:59

update before bed: baby bird has done a large poo and hopped up onto the edge of the feeding dish, hoping that's a good sign. Also I think that MAYBE there was a little bit of insect/worm in the dish, maybe the parents have found it or its fended for itself - will update again in daylight! Cat is in and is in the doghouse

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 02-Jun-09 11:51:31

smile I'm so pleased it survived the night. Have a look under some stones in the garden for worms. They love stones.

MrsPickles Tue 02-Jun-09 21:28:05

Oh no Fluffy Bunny last post was an update late last night (went out with torch). I am sorry to say baby bird did not in fact survive the night.

This morning, inspected bush & initially no sign of baby bird. Great I thought, has learnt to fly or parents have taken it away. Turned around - dead baby bird on path sad, looking a bit like its been tossed about by cat (not my cat - kept mine in).

Have just described last night & this morning's events to DH, expecting sympathy & commiseration for passing of BB and perhaps some warm words for the efforts and concern I showed in BB's last hours - DH instead pissed himself laughing when I told him about putting bird in the feeding dish under the tree & carefully placing a few soaked cat biscuits for it to eat. DH has suggested local cats may have in fact, been attracted by cat biscuits, and instead been pleased to discover one baby bird, served up on a plate no less. Ooops. How guilty do I feel.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 03-Jun-09 16:20:12

sad sad sad Poor thing.
I found a bird (an adult blackbird??) on the side of the path whilst walking ds to school this morning. It looked like it was hurt, it was moving but wouldn't move away when I got close to it and it had wing feathers missing. It was still there when I walked home after dropping ds off, I went home and called the vet/RSPCA and went back with a box and an old sheet so I could take it to the vet but it wasn't there so I'm hoping someone picked it up and took it to the vet.
Your DH is mean! angry At least you tried and did something.

Ripeberry Wed 03-Jun-09 16:25:11

When i was a teenager i went for a walk in the woods with my brother and parents and we found an injured Jackdaw (the crows with the blue eyes), took it home and fed it bread.
Took it to the vet and he found out that it was badly injured, big hole under its wing, but it had seemed quite well as it ate loads.
It had to be put down and i cried over a wild bird....what was i like? sad

mamanut Wed 03-Jun-09 16:36:29

My mum used to look after birds our cat caught when we was younger, we would bring them in and put them in an old hamster cage for a few days, it's usually the shock that kills them so we would keep them in a quite room by the window until they get over the shock and start moving around and singing.

If you touch them the parents won't want to know them so best to keep babies until they are stronger and can fly properly.

Our neighbours aways used to bring any birds and hedgehogs to my mum to help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now