Talk

Advanced search

I won't take the dog out when it's so hot

(13 Posts)
Saltire Mon 01-Jun-09 14:52:39

he's 1 year old and being a Border Collie with a dark coat he gets very warm. I took him out this morning about 7,a dn was going to wait until a bit later when it's cooler to take him out. He's been in the garden, lying in teh shade fast asleep, and when I come into the house he flops own ont eh lino in kitchen.
I'm just worried that I'm being unfair to him by not taking him out

Molesworth Mon 01-Jun-09 14:55:21

Not at all - my dog hates the heat as well and actually refuses to walk in it! He'll be fine with a couple of walks in the cooler parts of the day/evening.

bella39 Mon 01-Jun-09 15:35:07

I do 7am and 9pm in this weather...

9pm is a bugger for midges, though grin

bella39 Mon 01-Jun-09 15:36:05

...and Saltire - it would be a lot more unfair to subject him to exercise in this heat, so you are doing the right thing wink

ohdearwhatamess Mon 01-Jun-09 15:43:56

My springer hates the hot weather,and skulks inside in a shady corner.

I take him out at 6.30am and 8.30/9pm. He would go fo a walk in the midday sun, but collapse in a heap and refuse to walk any further after about 20 minutes.

newpup Mon 01-Jun-09 16:43:19

I have been going at 9am straight from the school run. We got back at 10.30 today, walked for an hour and a half and she was exhausted has slept all day! I normally walk her between 11am and 2pm but way too hot at that time in this weather.

morethanyoubargainfor Mon 01-Jun-09 16:53:36

my lad doesn't go out during the day in this weather either, bu the is coming to switzerland with us in the summer so i bought him one of these mainly to wear when travelling. They are fab as they dont make the dog wet, just keeps them cool.

claricebeansmum Mon 01-Jun-09 16:54:10

I don't think so.

I am taking our 8 month labradoodle out straight from school run and then at about 6pm when she gets to swim in the river. In the meantime she lounges around on the tiled floor and eats up all the ice cubes I drop for her!

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 01-Jun-09 17:03:50

Ours goes river swimming in the evening, she spends all day asleep in this weather.

CountryGirl2007 Tue 02-Jun-09 01:45:37

He'll be fine if you take him out about 7pm when it's starting to get nice and cool. something some people dog is get a kids paddling pool and put it in the garden so the dog can go and play in the water if he wants to cool down.

PrammyMammy Tue 02-Jun-09 11:56:19

My dog refuses to go out, this morning she ran into my room and under the bed just so she didn't have to go out. When she is out she hides under the table and digs up the grass to roll in it.
We have a paddling pool outside for ds, but she won't go near that either lol.
Your dog will prob let you know if he wants out. You are not being unfair at all.

throckenholt Wed 03-Jun-09 07:40:32

I have a 1 year old collie too (also very black) - he hurtles round our big garden and gets very hot - but I have noticed the last week or two he is laying in the shade most of the day. We have a 12 year old collie and we have noticed over the years that anything over about 20C is too hot for them - they cope brilliantly in cold weather but just lay in the shade looking sad when it is hot. My old one particularly refuses to get in the car when the weather is hot (we have to drag her in when we have to because we are going away !)

I think he would much rather be left alone when it is hot.

differentID Wed 03-Jun-09 08:10:25

My mum's BC will go out to toilet but then comes straight back in and flops in the shady front room.
It's normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now